By Naptime
PssdffJay wrote:You tease! I got all excited when the email notification came up that there was a new post in your thread. I was hoping for more updates. :(
Sorry, Jay! There's been progress - just haven't had time to post them! I've been busy with work too.
By Naptime
Ok ok! Here's some stuff to tide you guys over. Where was I? Oh yeah, those cyclotron & power cell lense holes. What a pain!! The thing about pchrisbosh1's shell is that it's THICK. Great for structural integrity, but not so great for the placement of lenses. Using a technique taken from Grimmy GB, who got it from PssdffJay who got it from another genius... you get the point. Long story short, I took a dremel to the inside of my shell.

Here's a shot of my first attempt using a depth gauge hastily thrown together using scrap MDF.

Like all first attempts, this one blew dead donkey balls.

But I learned what not to do, so it got better:

With the lense placed.

Tah dah!

The white stuff you see on two of the holes is apoxie sculpt for when I messed up.

Here's the power cell hole. That one was awkward at best.

Safety tip: because I knew beforehand that there would be copious amounts of fibreglass dust, I took proper precautions and did my work outside.

Yes, I look like a dork, but my lungs thank me & my wife won't kill me for getting the inside of the house covered in dust.

barison82 liked this
By Naptime
So I got my shipment of parts from Freeky Geeky and they are spectacular. Here's a quick placement shot of the parts on the shell:

I was pretty stoked. Only problem was, I was lacking the proper hardware to attach the various parts! A trip to Fastenal was in the books. In the meantime, I was busy with this:

***warning: shameless plug***

For all the Canadian Ghostheads out there, check out our show starting next Tuesday October 4th on CBC at 9pm ET.

Sorry about that. Just wanted to explain why I haven't been able to do as many updates as I would've liked to have.
barison82, alphabeta001 liked this
By Naptime
PssdffJay wrote:That's awesome!! Will CBC stream it? I don't have cable. Are you going to sneak some GB stuff in the background?
CBC will mos def stream the show. No GB stuff this season, but I'm pitching an idea for next season that will involve my proton pack!
Jonobiwan, nastynoah liked this
By canpara
The cyclotron recesses look great. I might borrow that idea from you for my lenses as well! The pack parts look stunning.

I, for one, will definitely check out your show. I really hope you're successful in your pitch for your Proton Pack. How cool would that be!
Naptime liked this
By GohstTarp
You're dremel work looks great. It's a nice feeling too see the lenses sit nicely in place like that. Top notch!

Oh man... I wish I still received the CBC like I did in Michigan. Some great programming on there... "The Kids in the Hall", "Fifth Estate", "Twitch City", "The News Room", "Made in Canada", "Street Cents", "DeGrassi", "Jonovision".... and now, "Kim's Convenience". I'll check it out one way or another :cool:
Naptime liked this
By Naptime
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Nice work with the Dremel man. The recesses for the lenses came out great.

Check you out.......... Name should be Bigtime not Naptime :)
Thanks again VS, for all your support. I love how positive you are with everyone's builds. Always a kind word and great encouragement for your fellow Ghostheads!
canpara wrote:The cyclotron recesses look great. I might borrow that idea from you for my lenses as well! The pack parts look stunning.

I, for one, will definitely check out your show. I really hope you're successful in your pitch for your Proton Pack. How cool would that be!
A word of advice with the Dremel - I was far too tentative with it initially. Strong, assured moments of contact worked best for me, as I found out with my third and fourth cyclotron holes. And please do watch the show!!! Though you'll have to wait until season 2 to see any GB stuff ;)
GohstTarp wrote:You're dremel work looks great. It's a nice feeling too see the lenses sit nicely in place like that. Top notch!

Oh man... I wish I still received the CBC like I did in Michigan. Some great programming on there... "The Kids in the Hall", "Fifth Estate", "Twitch City", "The News Room", "Made in Canada", "Street Cents", "DeGrassi", "Jonovision".... and now, "Kim's Convenience". I'll check it out one way or another :cool:
Your knowledge of that list of shows makes you an honourary Canadian, eh? I loved all those shows growing up too, and I hope our show will be remembered as fondly. Thanks for the kind words about my dremel work - I'm finding that I should relax when it comes to working on my shell. I'm always worried I'm going to break it into pieces. It's way tougher than I think.
Naptime wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Nice work with the Dremel man. The recesses for the lenses came out great.

Check you out.......... Name should be Bigtime not Naptime :)
Thanks again VS, for all your support. I love how positive you are with everyone's builds. Always a kind word and great encouragement for your fellow Ghostheads!
Thanks man. I just love this community and want to encourage anyone who starts on this amazing journey.
Christof, barison82 liked this
By Naptime
canpara wrote:Hey Paulie, any updates to share? Don't leave us hanging!
Hi Mario! I've been plugging away on my pack. Between publicity for the show and family, I haven't had a chance to post updates. Here's a sneak peek of where I'm at though!

Just finished half mounting the v-hook. I need to dremel the interior of my shell to properly mount the support plate I fabricated for it.

I've been reading your updates and LOVE how precise you're being with your build. To be honest, I've been eyeballing a lot of stuff after using Stefan's measurements as a starting point. A prime example would be my bumper. That thing drove me nuts but I'm happy with it now.

I'll post more once Hallowe'en is over. I've got a ton of stuff to build for my kids too!
Jonobiwan, alphabeta001 liked this
By canpara
Naptime wrote:To be honest, I've been eyeballing a lot of stuff after using Stefan's measurements as a starting point. A prime example would be my bumper. That thing drove me nuts but I'm happy with it now.
Wow, your build is looking great! Judging from the photo, the bumper looks right where it's supposed to be. I think you're nailing this build, bud!
Naptime liked this
By Naptime
When it's late at night and you're trying to figure out how your aluminum thrower fits together and you realize your pop mech is laughing at you...

This is coming along great! If you don't mind me posting a tip for other people that are going to thin out their cyclotron and power cell windows.

Use one of these jobbies, the center screw can ride around on the inside of the hole without causing any damage. You just run it around flat until you're happy with the thickness.Image
Last edited by likesjellydonuts on October 18th, 2016, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
canpara, Jonobiwan liked this
By Naptime
likesjellydonuts wrote:This is coming along great! If you don't mind me posting a tip for other people that are going to thin out their cyclotron and power cell windows.

Use one of these hobbies, the center screw can ride around on the inside of the hole without causing any damage. You just run it around flat until you're happy with the thickness.Image

Oh man! That would've been perfect. Great tip for everyone else needing to shave down their cyclotron holes! Thanks for sharing, likesjellydonuts!
canpara liked this
By barison82
Hi Naptime, I stumbled upon this thread the other day and I'm now subscribed - what a fantastic project :) Look forward to seeing further progess. Best wishes from London!
Naptime liked this
By Naptime
barison82 wrote:Hi Naptime, I stumbled upon this thread the other day and I'm now subscribed - what a fantastic project :) Look forward to seeing further progess. Best wishes from London!
Thank you so much for the kind words of support! Apologies for the lateness of this reply, after the Halloween rush it was hard to find time to post on this build thread (just ask PssdffJay!).

I've been following a couple of your builds in progress, too! Looking forward to seeing your trap and pack from Benofkent!
By Naptime
Ok, so I know it's been a few weeks, and I've been really bad at posting updates! Rest assured that they are coming. One of the main reasons I've been so bad at posting (other than lack of time) is basically how fast my build went once I got all the parts I had been waiting for. I had been aiming for a Halloween finish date and was feverishly working to get the pack finished or at least wearable for the 31st. As such, my build thread took a back seat to the actual building. Not to worry, I took many, many pictures. Now I just have to remember what I did along with the pictures I took!

Oh, and is it just me, or is it really, really difficult to post pictures while using a laptop? I can post easily from my phone via tapatalk, but typing on my phone is frustrating. In any case, I'm going to try something that PssdffJay suggested to me so bear with me as I switch from device to device!

Here's a picture of the Man himself: the inimitable, PssdffJay!

Woo hoo! It worked!
By Naptime
Venkman's Swagger wrote:1) Welcome back!
2) Never slack like that on us again!
3) I cannot wait for these updates!
4) I love you
1) It's great to be back (though I never really left!)
2) Sorry. I'll be better this time around!
3) I cannot wait to get them to you!
4) I know.
Naptime wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:1) Welcome back!
2) Never slack like that on us again!
3) I cannot wait for these updates!
4) I love you
1) It's great to be back (though I never really left!)
2) Sorry. I'll be better this time around!
3) I cannot wait to get them to you!
4) I know.
VS likes this
By Naptime
Ok, here we go!

I think I last left off with me shaving down the holes for the cyclotron lenses. Yeah, that was fun. A trip to the dollar store turned up these beauties:

I found the perfect reflectors and housing units for my cyclotron lights! Once I removed the light bulbs from the sockets, I drilled a small hole through the brass coloured metal on the top (or bottom, depending on your perspective) of the black socket fitting to allow the LED cyclotron lights from the GBfans shop to pass through. These reflectors would be mounted on a 0.080" or 2.0mm sheet of styrene I had purchased from a local hobby shop. I drilled four holes the diameter of the flashlight socket bulb, the reflector sat on top of the sheet and the socket screwed in underneath the sheet.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about from later on in the build:

Next: Xmas comes early!
By Naptime
Full disclosure: I realise it's been so long since I posted in my build thread that I've lost track of what I've already posted and what I have yet to post. In my haste, I realise I have already posted about receiving Freaky Geeky's amazing aluminum parts. That's what I was referring to when I wrote about Xmas coming early. In any case, here's how I mounted them:

Vacuum line:

After finding and marking the centre of the vacuum line position, I started drilling a hole in my shell (using a step bit to prevent cracking).

Then for whatever reason, I tapped the hole to accommodate the socket screw that was going to hold the vac line in place. This step was completely unnecessary as I was using a small piece of doweling to secure the vac line in place and act as mount for the 3/4" splitless loom.

Here's a pic of the doweling cut just a bit higher than the height of the vac line:

Here's a pic of the finished product:

And from inside the shell:

By Naptime
Next was the mounting of the ion arm, booster tube, HGA, PPD, injector tubes, filler tube and beam tube!

I started off by scanning the bottoms of each part to create a template to help me with the placement of each piece.

Ion Arm:

After cutting out the template and realizing I had to turn them upside down to get the proper alignment, I taped the template to it's proper position, marked the holes for the socket head screws, and using my trusty step bit, drilled four holes into my shell.

One thing that happened was the hole located at the corner of the shell was closer than I had hoped. As a result, I wasn't able to get a washer to fit with its socket head screw.

Still, three out of four ain't bad, and that Ion Arm wasn't going anywhere!

Booster tube:

Now that I had the Ion Arm in place, I had a great starting point for my booster tube. Now I'd love to say that I was meticulous with my calculations and used that lovely digital caliper to map out the precise location of the placement of the booster tube (much like PssdffJay, GrimmyGB and Canpara) and to be honest, I did start off that way, but I soon became impatient and the math was pissing me off so I just eye-balled it. My justification was that the original packs were kinda thrown together and that my pack was going to be a specific reflection of my personality - close enough to look normal, but just a little off if you look close enough ;)

With that in mind, I placed the tube using the ion arm as a guide. Then marked the centre line of the booster tube as true as I could make it - marking the bottom of the tube and the top of the tube:

Then I drew a line on the shell connecting the two marked points, and chose three drill points along that centre line and drilled them out.

Using a highly precise and sophisticated method to hold the booster tube in place, I marked the holes I had drilled into the shell onto the booster tube. Then, applying the same high tech, super accurate procedure again, I was able to lock down my booster tube on my work table and drill holes into the tube itself.

A view from inside the shell:

Booster tube, mounted!

By Naptime
There's an ugly weld that needs to be put in eventually, but I am loathe to mess with anything now that my pack is pretty much completed. But I digress! On with the description of my build!

HGA

Using the exact same method as I did with my ion arm, I was able to mount the HGA with little drama:

Hole:

I think I got the placement close enough - opinions?

Then to shake things up a bit, I decided to drill a hole in the crank generator and mount a piece of doweling similar to the one I used in the vacuum tube. Then, this happened!

I guess the fiberglassed section was thinner than the others... oh well. I knew I could fix it later.

PPD

Blah blah blah used the same scientifically accurate method of mounting and measuring, tapping and drilling... here's the pictures. Enjoy!

Mounted:

inside:

By Naptime
Using Stephan's plans, I was able to precisely measure the placement of the beam line and filler tubes.

Ok, Ok, I eye balled it... but they were close! I swear!

Used the templates:

Placed the tubes:

Drilled the holes

Tubes mounted:

I peeled away the green painter's tape after. Here's a pic of underneath the shell:

Injector tubes:

This part was actually pretty cool. RJ (Freaky Geeky) had attached a stabilizing bracket to them, and because of my keen eye and attention to detail (or pure blind-ass luck) the mounting bracket placement was spot on with the filler tube!

Thus began the ever familiar process of mounting the injectors. First, I marked off where the injectors and the bracket fit on the shell.

Then I placed the template on the shell

HOLES!!!

Then mounted:

And inside the shell:

I also drilled holes for where the bracket sits flush on the shell.

I will also admit to having the injectors sit flush to the bottom of the power cell. I know it's not screen accurate, but stuff like that bugs me. Plus I was too lazy and in a hurry to get it to sit at the movie accurate angle.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]