By Stantz 718
First time posting here but no stranger to researching many things on this site...

I'm in the process of building a STRICTLY GB1 pack.I have a deadstock LC1 ALICE frame. I purchased a shell and motherboard from this site as well as a few other starter items. I got the GB1 style ribbon clamp off ebay as well as a Dale RH-25 resistor and Clippard R701 fitting. My first questions are I seen an aluminum kit from Heavy Props and was wondering will it fit the shell I bought from GBfans? I also need to know where to get the brackets and all the correct screws I need for the GB1 pack. I also need to know how to attach the frame to the motherboard to the shell. Do I need to tap screw holes in the brackets and aluminum parts? If so what size tap? Is there a STRICTLY GB1 pack parts list floating around. I want my thrower all aluminum with a rotating grip and extendable/retractable barrel mechanism as well..all advice is welcome. Thanks and this site Rocks The Spot !
Last edited by Stantz 718 on April 22nd, 2015, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only aluminum part that you will need to provide measurements for is the booster tube. You will need to find the proper angle and length for it to be cut to fit the gbfans shell. Everything else has flat mounting points so they generally will fit all shells if they are the proper measurements.

The thick brackets and 3/16 wide flange pop rivets can be purchased from Ejgunth87 here on GBfans. You could alternatively check local metal suppliers for similar aluminum bracket material that you could cut into brackets yourself. My local place has a scrap bin to buy cheap aluminum scrap from, it's a good source!

Here is the list of socket cap bolts you will need: You can buy most of them from Lowes or Home Depot (the 4-40 ones are hard to find sometimes), or online at websites like Fastenal (much cheaper but expensive shipping).

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=28546

There's a good thread in the tutorial section on how to attach your brackets to your motherboard and shell.
You will need a 1/4-20 tap and drill bit set for attaching the shell to the brackets that can be purchased from home depot for around $5

Most aluminum parts come with their mounting holes pre-drilled and tapped so you won't have to worry about those if that is the case.

Hope some of this info helps.

-Lowberg
If I understand correctly (and anybody can chime in if I am wrong), the GBFans shell is based on the Bigi71 shell... Vincenzo330's shell is a higher quality version of the Bigi71 shell (thus, the name Bigi330)... The aluminum parts that Heavy Props sells on eBay is the same aluminum parts that Vincenzo330 sells here... so, with that understanding, fit-wise, the Heavy Props aluminum parts will fit the GBFans shell perfectly, since they are all based on the original Bigi71 shell design...
PssdffJay, caleconners83, Stantz 718 and 1 others liked this
I concur with Phil's assessment. I have the GBfan's shell, and Vincenzo330's aluminum parts and they fit like a glove!

My advice would be to live in the proton pack section of the forum for a couple weeks looking at all the builds that you can. There are so many that I used when I was building that I would feel bad if I missed mentioning one, so I won't. Just have a look through and read read read read and then read some more. Then go back and reread. This way you will see what parts to get and where to get them before you resort to ebay. Not that ebay is bad and some sellers sell on here and ebay to reach a wider group of people, but I would support someone here on the gbfans shop before ebay.

Also, look through the blacklisted sellers before buying anything as well, and the feedback threads as well.

Good luck and start and use this as your build thread with lots of photos. This way we can help easier.
I suggest you pick up a 10-32 tap and bit as well as an 1/8 NPT tap. Those are two that I used a lot. I tapped my fiberglass to hold my legris straights and elbow as well as cleaning up the threads from my metal parts after paint.
Stantz 718 liked this
Harbor Freight has an insanely good tap and die set that only costs about $30...
Stantz 718 liked this
Fellas,

Thank you for the input and assistance. I will post all my updates on this thread...As far as purchasing from reputable members on this site I'm with it. Like many this has been something I wanted to do since I was a runt. Guys thanks again for all the guidance thus far. Im an accomplished DJ/Turntablist who is always dropping mixes..any one need a mix let me know.. Peace
By Stantz 718
Here is an update to what I got going. Taking baby steps but the ball is rolling. My first question, is there a standard measurement on where the "L" brackets sit on the motherboard and how far they sit from the shell? MB from Gbfans

Shell from GBfans

ALICE LC-1

Back

Front

Seeing about picking up a rivet gun and the proper drill bits today. I know for a fact Im gonna need a step bit, fornester bits , tap and the necessary screws, washers and the such. I just wanna make sure I have the "L" brackets lined up correctly. I want this GB1 pack to be as accurate as it can be. My biggest fear is cracking anything on this shell. Also cutting out the N-filter, I have all aluminum parts being mounted on this bad boy as well as an aluminum thrower both from Heavyprops/Crix. I will be constantly updating as well as constantly studying all the great GB1 pack builds on here. So if anyone can help with the "L" brackets placement it would be deeply appreciated.
WhillB liked this
By Venkman's Swagger
Sounds like this will be a great build. I can't link as im on my phone but if you use the search function you should find a "how to mount your shell" tutorial. It's an awesome thread. Good luck with the build
Stantz 718 liked this
By Grimmy GB
If you're looking for where to line up the mounting holes on the shell, it varies by buster pack. If you're looking for the best method finding where the L brackets should lay (which each she'll has different thicknesses of material), it's a matter of a guessing game starting off, then playing "up and down" with the shell 50 times to make sure the brackets are close to the shell. Oh, and use tape to hold the brackets down. Once you find their location, mark with a perm marker, measure out the rivet hole location, then drill the mobo and brackets...rivet on. Rinse and repeat :)
Stantz 718 liked this
By Stantz 718
What size drill bit is used to make the rivet holes on the MB and brackets?

I'm also making a list of what parts I have for the pack and which ones I need. Right off the top I know Im missing the grey crank knob. I would love to purchase a real Raytheon knob.
By Stantz 718
Here are some items I took pics of

These I have no idea what they do or where the go

With the exception of the flange rivet I don't know where these screws go either. I separated the 4 socket head screws that attach the MB to shell.

Some bits and a Dremel kit. I don't know if any of these Black & Decker bits are suitable for drilling fiberglass. I made little pilot holes (1/8") in the shell where the clippard sits with this dewalt hex driver bit set I have (will post a picture later)

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]