So...honestly, when it comes to electronics, I'm an idiot. It takes some real thought process to get this out. I surfed the forums looking for a great description of how to tackle this, but honestly, my brain made no absolute sense of anything. I don't know if this will help anyone else at all, but here's how I'm wiring up the battery dedicated to the GBFans sound board.

Please excuse the rudimentary drawing. It contains the original wiring for the blue brick (top left) and what the wiring will look like afterwards to a DPDT "center off". I might add 2.1mm jacks for quick disconnects to/from the battery. OH, WAIT! They already exist! I just need to de-solder the LED, switch, and jacks and re-solder.

I plan on wiring up the vent blue brick battery the exact same way; to it's own DPDT, then to the vent unit and other 2 prongs on the XLR for charging. Both DPDTs will be on the Spengler plate (made by Nathan). The MP3 hook-up will run off of this battery as well.

Also, thanks to bishop and Phil for looking this over. :cool:

alphabeta001 liked this
How dare you! I did no such thing... :wink: LOL!

Don't put yourself down, you're doing great!
Grimmy GB liked this
pyhasanon wrote:How dare you! I did no such thing... :wink: LOL!

Don't put yourself down, you're doing great!
Thanks Dude! One tries... one sometimes succeeds lol
GohstTarp wrote:
Grimmy GB wrote:I don't know if this will help anyone else at all...
Awesome picture/diagram, Grimmy. It will certainly help me :D
YESSSSSS! SCORE!
This is the only update that I have. Once I get everything completely wired up, I'll show the guts. This video is minus the vent unit operation. I used the venting LED from the GBFans pack kit for demonstration. I haven't wired up the DPDT toggle switches yet either.

Naptime liked this
GohstTarp wrote:Great demo video, Grimmy. The venting LED from the GBFans pack kit looks impressive as is, so the upgraded LEDs should be blindingly awesome. The whole electronics installation looks like a lot of fun.
Yep...the vent light in my thrower is the upgraded one and I set the dim switch "on" for maximum output on it ^^. It's BRIGHT! And yes, you are surely correct; not only has it been, fun but I've learned a LOT in the process. Feel like I'm back in school all over again lol! And thank you kindly for the compliment, GT :D
Here's the guts of my mobo...

Some details include...

-DPDT "center off" mini switch for each battery. The vent unit and the sound board have their own battery/switches.
-Both batteries charging using the one XLR port.
-Batteries have 2.1mm jacks and Velcro for easy removal.
-Use of split 3/4" loom to conceal SOME of the rat's nest lol!
-Vent unit mounted high on the speaker frame shelf.
-Sound board and vent relay mounted on styrene shelf.
-Aluminum "C" bracket for the powercell board.
-10k potentiometer mounted onto the mobo.
-Full use of the Spengler plate including:
o 2 DPDT "center off" mini switches
o XLR for charging both batteries
o Manual vent button

The only things that I need to do is:

-Aux audio configuration
-Anchor the thrower 3/4" loom to the mobo

Free cat fur ball at the bottom of the pic... call to schedule pick-up.
Grimmy GB liked this
This is more of a general question about the wiring and setup of the sound/light boards.

I've noticed that a lot of members here are placing their sound/light boards on foam/styrene/spacers and not directly onto the mobo. What is the purpose of this? I might have found out the hard way last week when I was lining up my soundboard to make drill holes for mounting, but is it to prevent static damage?

Seeing this makes me want to reconsider how I want to put my boards onto the mobo now.
csullivan1980 wrote:This is more of a general question about the wiring and setup of the sound/light boards.

I've noticed that a lot of members here are placing their sound/light boards on foam/styrene/spacers and not directly onto the mobo. What is the purpose of this? I might have found out the hard way last week when I was lining up my soundboard to make drill holes for mounting, but is it to prevent static damage?

Seeing this makes me want to reconsider how I want to put my boards onto the mobo now.
Precisely, Chris. Any exposed electronics should be mounted onto a non-conductive material, or simply use stand offs if you do not want a super elevated shelf like I made. If the connections on the board become bridged with any kind of electricity (static included), damage can definitely be done. Most circuit boards are extremely sensitive to such.
I made the shelf to mostly hide things like wires. It's all personal preference.
Grimmy GB wrote:
csullivan1980 wrote:This is more of a general question about the wiring and setup of the sound/light boards.

Precisely, Chris. Any exposed electronics should be mounted onto a non-conductive material, or simply use stand offs if you do not want a super elevated shelf like I made. If the connections on the board become bridged with any kind of electricity (static included), damage can definitely be done. Most circuit boards are extremely sensitive to such.
I made the shelf to mostly hide things like wires. It's all personal preference.
Cool, yeah I think that's how I might have damaged my soundboard. I had no idea how sensitive the boards could be, but hey learning experience. Thankfully it's with the maker and should be fixed. While it's with Spongeface I'll be working on making plastic plates to place on the mobo to put the sound boards on with sets of nylon spacers, screws, washers and nuts I got. Hopefully this will correct my mistakes.
Grimmy I notice you are utilizing the volume pot and using your own controller. I can't tell from the photo but did you remove the one that came pre-soldered to the board?

I'm thinking of doing exactly what you did and could use some tips on the best methods of removing the pre-soldered volume controller on the gbfans soundboard.
csullivan1980 wrote:Grimmy I notice you are utilizing the volume pot and using your own controller. I can't tell from the photo but did you remove the one that came pre-soldered to the board?

I'm thinking of doing exactly what you did and could use some tips on the best methods of removing the pre-soldered volume controller on the gbfans soundboard.
You have to remove the pot from the board in order to use an external 10K pot. It was stated that running both pots would damage the board in some manner.
Honestly, I used small snips and just cut it off (just be careful not to touch the board itself with the snips). De-soldering the connections is easy, it's just that I don't have a steady hand to do so. Perhaps you could ask Doug if he'd be willing to remove it for you since he already has it? It's like a 2 minute job.
Cool, yeah I'll definitely as him if he can remove it for me when I hear back. Thanks for the info!
Grimmy GB wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:So fresh and so clean clean
"Ain't nobody dope as me!" Thanks, dude! Hope all is well in the world of Dave :)
Likewise dude. All is always good in the world of Dave when I'm faced with such AWESOMENESS!!!
Grimmy GB liked this
Something else to think about if you don't elevate your boards - there will be a time that you will get stuck in the rain with your pack... if your electronics are not elevated, where do you think that water is going to run? Other than immediately turning off your pack, the elevation is also an added layer of protection from the elements...
Grimmy GB liked this
pyhasanon wrote:Something else to think about if you don't elevate your boards - there will be a time that you will get stuck in the rain with your pack... if your electronics are not elevated, where do you think that water is going to run? Other than immediately turning off your pack, the elevation is also an added layer of protection from the elements...
How do I like this more than once? :D
What do you expect coming from a guy who has already worn his pack twice in the rain? LOL! At least I can say my pack has tested the elements (and contrary to my previous statement, I kept it running... so sue me, I'm a rebel)... =P

It's our arthouse European sensibilities in effect[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last mil[…]

New details https://i.imgur.com/0cWzlPm.jpeg […]