By D-42
I'm trying to get some plastic in to start trying out some more test pulls. I ordered the resin so I can remaster the molds as well with smoothcast 385 backfilled with 10lbs ridged foam.
By GAVAL
Geez. You do quick work!

If you sell these I know a half dozen people I'll point towards your Vac shells, assuming the cost is reasonable for their quality. You have the potential to make the best vac form shells available. Can't wait to see what these will cost if you move forward to sell em.

G
By D-42
I hope to be able to produce the full shells, the bumper and maybe the ion arm and thrower box. All vacuum formed. I will probably put together a list of other items that I can include that will fit nicely with the packs. The first pulls will likely be white ABS as that is what's available right now.

I'm headed out of town on a work trip until Sunday, and wont be able to do anything until then.

I did pick up some much needed upgrades for my vac table. Going to add a foot lever for the vacuum valve. Currently I need like 4 arms to run the thing. pushing down the frame, hitting the valve lever pressing in the corners. This should free up to only requiring 3 arms which I don't have much trouble with.

Also going to actually build in a switch so I don't have to plug/unplug the heater all the time.

Both these upgrades should allow me to pull the plastic while it is at perfectly optimal temperature and I should be able to get more consistent pulls.
By D-42
You don't yet. This is still just the build thread. I should have the molds fully ready within a month or so. I still have to prove that they will produce something worth selling at a price fair to both sides.
By D-42
Ok, i got some ABS to do the pre-mold shells and the resin to do the master molds. Once I get the master molds done I'll be able to tweek and fix most of the problems that were mentioned.

I also got a box with 4 alice pack frames in it :)
By D-42
The lip is only in the base, not in the actual finished part. In order to get good clean edges on a vactable the parts are raised about 1/2 inch.
By D-42
I was able to try out 6 test pulls in ABS to see how it was going to do. The upper section is working better than I was scared of but it's not perfect. There will be some cleanup that will need to be done to get rid of a bit of webbing.

By Screwhead
Wow that looks good!

Looking at the pull and your original... buck? (totally don't remember the terms) maybe if you do it in 3 pieces instead of 2 it would come out without that webbing; the cyclotron, the upper-right boxes and the upper-left powercell/slant part/part where the tube and booster frame go..
By D-42
So I made two videos of me pulling some of the test pulls. You can see a bit of how my new foot pedal works on the vac table. really helps free up hands to press down on the frame.

By D-42
Screwhead wrote:Wow that looks good!

Looking at the pull and your original... buck? (totally don't remember the terms) maybe if you do it in 3 pieces instead of 2 it would come out without that webbing; the cyclotron, the upper-right boxes and the upper-left powercell/slant part/part where the tube and booster frame go..

I usually call them Molds, but bucks or plugs also work. In fact I think I'm going to start calling them buckplugs :lol: .

I also thought about doing it in more sections, but I think the webbing may be easier to clean up than it is to fill a seam. I started cutting it out on one of them that will probably end up being my Halloween pack, and they clean out pretty quick with a dremell. I only had enough plastic to get me 6 parts. I have enough shells now for me, my buddy and the pre-master shell for the production runs. I have the resin and everything to make the production molds and I'll even do a tutorial on how I do that.
By KagaSakai
I've never seen a vac table in action before. Really neat process! Kind of curious as to why you leave the room each time.
By D-42
KagaSakai wrote:I've never seen a vac table in action before. Really neat process! Kind of curious as to why you leave the room each time.
That's where the heater is plugged in at. I bought a 220v circuit breaker that I'll install at some point over the next week or two, but for the past 6 years I've just been going into the laundry room and unplugging it from the dryer outlet.
By nick-a-tron
These look fantastic! It's really great to see such a well made vacformed shell after all this time, a really great alternative to a fiberglass shell. Its also good to see how well you took onboard peoples advice and applied it to yout final product, the results speak for themsleves. Oh and i forgot to mention......

By D-42
I should be getting some test plastic in this weekend. It's some stuff I've never used before though. Good news it's black and the right thickness. If it works out I should be able to make shells for about $150 at least until the investment is paid off then I can do them for a little cheaper or the same price with more parts. If the test works out this weekend then I'll probably buy up the rest of the suppliers stock and make 10-15 shells to put up. I'd guess it's about 3 weeks out though. I don't do pre-orders, in case something comes up, but I should be able to keep a few in stock most of the time so they can be ordered at almost any time.
By D-42
quick update for tonight. Glued together, cleaned up and painted. I could have done a little better on the webbing cleanup but I always get impatient at that point and figured once everything else is tucked in and around it's either going to be covered up or far to busy to notice + the flash makes it stand out more so it looks worse in the pictures then it actually is.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]