Letmebleed75 wrote:found a good source for original LC1 Alice frames with straps. 52 shipped in us

http://armedforcesmcss.us/cart.php?targ ... gory_id=41
That frame is actually an aftermarket LC-1 frame with newer straps. Its not a bad frame or anything, but the straps aren't completely accurate the the LC-1 straps they used in GB1. Still a good option for someone that wants the general look but is having a hard time locating the real deal.
It's unknown exactly what the size is, but the screen-used packs had what appear to be 1" spacers between the frame and motherboard on all three mounting points. what was it that made your last frame unmountable? did you not use any spacers? I can tall you that even if the middle horizontal bar sat flush on the outer fame like it does on a genuine USGI LC-1 frame, you would still need to use spacers to mount it to your motherboard properly.
I guess I shouldn't have said I couldn't mount it, because I did...sort of. I bought a frame off of Amazon and used it for my wife's slime blower. I did end up using spacers to get the bottom of the mobo to sit level with the horizontal bar. I just didn't want to have to add two inches worth of spacers on the bottom is all.
you can locate authentic lc-1 frames a different way by using the US government to your advantage. the US government labels their equiptment with a "national stock number" or NSN. if you become familiar with those nsn's which are related to the lc-1's its easier to identify authentic parts and talk to reputable dealers.

NSN's for LC-1 frame and parts:

LC-1 Frame (black, 1975 era)
NSN 8465-00-001-6475

LC-1 Field Pack (medium)
NSN 8465-00-001-6480

LC-1 Field Pack (large)
NSN 8465-00-001-6481

LC-1 Cargo Shelf
NSN 8465-00-001-6476

Right Shoulder Strap with out quick release
NSN 8465-00-269-0483

Left SHoulder Strap with quick release
NSN 8465-00-269-0482

Waist Strap
NSN 8465-00-269-0481

Lower Back Strap
NSN 8465-00-269-0480

LC-2 Frame (green, 1977+)
NSN 8465-01-073-8326

officially the government doesn't recognize LC-2's as apart of their inventory instead they classified as LC-1's created during or after 1977. weird huh?

Original Dimentions for LC-1 Frame:
20 1/8in Length
12in. Width
3 1/8in Depth

i did come across a video on a government liquidation website what featured both a lc-1 and lc-2 frames. one can clearly see the differences inbetween the two.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 4823943001
I'm building a pack very shortly, and I'm starting to pull together all of the parts.

I've read through the thread, but I'm still a bit confused/stores don't post good information. Is this what I'm looking for http://www.militarycraft.com/backpacks_ ... _lc1_gear/? I mean the details, not that it is an alice frame. Any opinions about the complete frame that's offered? If the complete frame's straps are wrong, are the other ones listed more accurate?

Really appreciate it.
ScooterinAB wrote:I'm building a pack very shortly, and I'm starting to pull together all of the parts.

I've read through the thread, but I'm still a bit confused/stores don't post good information. Is this what I'm looking for http://www.militarycraft.com/backpacks_ ... _lc1_gear/? I mean the details, not that it is an alice frame. Any opinions about the complete frame that's offered? If the complete frame's straps are wrong, are the other ones listed more accurate?

Really appreciate it.

I couldn't tell you about the straps or the complete frame, but that kidney pad isn't the LC1 pad used in GB. The one used in GB had a snap it which went over the belt buckle or whatever method it used to clasp it. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a large plastic buckle like that one. That kind of plastic buckle is seen on the GB2 packs.
Does anyone have a pic of the original turnbuckles used on the LC1 kidney belt? Also does anyone know if the threaded eye bolts which are attached to the belt have one threaded clockwise and the other threaded counterclockwise? And does anyone know what size said bolts are, and the dimensions of the turnbuckle?
GhostGuy wrote:Does anyone have a pic of the original turnbuckles used on the LC1 kidney belt? Also does anyone know if the threaded eye bolts which are attached to the belt have one threaded clockwise and the other threaded counterclockwise? And does anyone know what size said bolts are, and the dimensions of the turnbuckle?
the threaded eye bolts:
Right Eye Bolt w/nut, Clockwise
Left Eye Bolt, Counter Clockwise

Turnbuckle Dimensions:
L - .4375 in
W - 1.25 in
D - .25 in

Eye Bolts:
L - 1.625 in

ImageImageImageImage
Red:
Thanks for that!

Do you know what size the bolts are? Not the length, but the size of the nut they go on?

Also, regarding the turnbuckle dimensions, you say they're 1.25" wide... but in the pic with the ruler it looks quite a bit wider than that. More like 2". Is that number correct?
yeah i see what you mean there. lol that's what i get for doing stuff at 2am XD

the turn buckle dimensions length wise are 1.75in for the device and roughly under 2in if you include the nut.

to be honest i have no clue what size bolts they are and i'm really not quite sure how to tell what size they are. if there's a way, please let me know.
Hm... Could you measure the width of the bolt, including the threads? Also, the distance between the tips of two threads. From that I should be able to match it to a chart of standard sizes to determine the size and if it's coarse or fine thread.

It looks like coarse to me though, and if the turnbuckle is only 1/4" thick, then the bolts can't be 1/4" wide. That means those bolts are likely either size 12 or size 10, and they look like coarse thread to me.

I was also curious if the nut was a clockwise (standard) threaded one or not, but then I saw the threads on the bolt, and those I can see are clockwise so the nut is as well.
My apologies if I missed this, but I have a question about connecting the motherboard to the frame itself. I'm not super duper handy, but am willing to learn and experiment. If anyone could break it down into 'simple man' terms that would be great.

So from what I've gathered there is a bolt drilled through the frame above the crossbar and two along the lower portion. I've seen that zip ties are also used. Is there any sort of tutorial for this? This is going to be my first pack, and I'm going to scope out some Surplus stores today (Los Angeles area if anyone knows anywhere good), so all the tips you could pass along will be much appreciated.
Kamikaze wrote:if anyone finds a real LC-1 frame + straps out there please send me a tell

having a really hard time finding one of these, it's what is holding me back from starting the proton pack build :)
Post this in the Wanted section, you'll have much more success.
I have been reading through everything and think I have a good idea of how I am going to attach the pack to the frame.

A couple of clairfications please:

1) Do/Can I use a carriage bolt for the crossbar attachment to the frame?

2) Is it alright if I use the 1/4" shaft collars on all three of the mounting ports?

3) Does it matter what time of washer I use for the inside of the pack? And do I use a washer on the frame side, or is the shaft collar sufficent?

Also, can anyone please post a picture of the inside of their packs with the bolts in place?

Thank you!
After reading this entire thread, I'm still confused as to what size spacers I need to use on the LC-2 pack frame.

Since the cross bar sticks out further than on the LC-1 pack frames, do you really need a spacer on the cross bar?

Couldn't you just put 1 inch or 3/4" spacers on the bottom and be done with it?
Traded my LC-2 in for an authentic LC-1 frame today...so the spacer thing is not an issue.

I need to find the some things though...the webbing, lc-1 waist strap and correct shoulder straps.

Anyone no where I can find these online?
parksdesign wrote:I need to find the some things though...the webbing, lc-1 waist strap and correct shoulder straps.

Anyone no where I can find these online?
Links are in the first post of this thread for waist straps.
totally missed that. thanks! Now If I can just find the right shoulder straps. The LC-1 straps do not have any snap buttons on them, correct?

These appear to be LC-2 straps.
Josh Foote wrote:I have been reading through everything and think I have a good idea of how I am going to attach the pack to the frame.

A couple of clairfications please:

1) Do/Can I use a carriage bolt for the crossbar attachment to the frame?

2) Is it alright if I use the 1/4" shaft collars on all three of the mounting ports?

3) Does it matter what time of washer I use for the inside of the pack? And do I use a washer on the frame side, or is the shaft collar sufficent?

Also, can anyone please post a picture of the inside of their packs with the bolts in place?

Thank you!
Anyone?
Josh Foote wrote:Anyone?
You'd be better off starting a new thread for this, a lot of people don't bother reading this thread.

GB1 style pack internals: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=21787
Something I've been wondering that I can't quite tell from the pictures.. is the belt on the LC-2 frame attached to the kidney pad? because I've got an LC-1 frame but with no belt, and I don't really like the look of the LC-1 belts.. is it possible to take just the LC-2 belt and attach it like the LC-1, or would I have to scratch-build something myself?
Ray's Denim Jacket (GB1)

Jealous.

Weathering, because they won't stay new looking fo[…]

@Specter Mitcher - Either way, any proton pack wou[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Nice! That's awesome! I like how lately, he has be[…]