By thelegendofvix
Backstory
I remember being in awe at past DragonCons seeing the various Ectos in the parade. I also thought it was cool to see people (like Chace) who made a modern interpretation of what an Ectomobile would look like today. Heck, in the Ghostbusters universirse they would have had to setup franchises in the last 30 years to keep up with all of the bustin' that would need to be done once the public had accepted the existence of ghosts and the need for people to get rid of them. This was even mentioned at the end of the video game.
Side Note1: Wouldn't it be safe to assume that in 30 years there would be competitors to spring up? What would they be called? What would they look like? Hmm....

I recently totaled my current Jeep Grand Cherokee...

Luckily everyone was fine. Thanks to USAA and the GAP protection I bought, the loan was wiped out and I was able to get a newer Jeep Grand Cherokee...AND...my wife really wanted the white one which was fine with me (because of ulterior motives lol).

Planning
So I can turn this bad boy into an Ecto. The catch is that nothing can be permanently attached (this is our primary daily driver after all). I cannot drill into the Jeep, must use magnets, etc. Basically, I want to build a setup that can:
  • Attach/detach to the luggage rack.
  • Possibly breakdown and fit inside the Jeep for road trips.
  • Is safe for moderate driving.
  • Has functioning lights and siren.
  • Feeds off it's own battery supply (not the Jeep battery).
  • Possibly is controlled by a remote. All I would need would be Lights On/Off, and Siren On/Off
Ideas?
So this is where I need your guys help an insights. Since this is a interpretation of what a brand new modern Ecto can look like I don't have to worry about "screen accuracy" only would the general public recognize it as a modern Ghostbusters vehicle. Consider it a blank canvass! Here is what I could come up with so far....

Something like this for the lights. Do you guys think I should go with Amber or is it ok to use Blue lights?
Here is the mfg's website It comes with:
  • Voltage: 11~15-Volt DC
  • Eight (16) different light flashing patterns
  • Ten(10) light modules each containing four 0.5-watt GEN III LED's
  • Illuminated control box
  • 6 different emergency sounds
  • 80 watt PA speaker & microphone
  • Magnet pull strength 55 lbs. All 4 magnets are rubber covered to protect the vehicles paint
  • Dimensions: 23-1/2"" L x 12" W x 4"
Maybe something like this setup to solve the "detachable rack" problem?

What are your ideas?
By Grimmy GB
Just to start out, I'm glad everyone's ok. That looked like a REALLY hard hit. Secondly, that (in my opinion) is the perfect Ecto vehicle. I'd love the Wrangler for and Ecto for certain occasions, but think the Grand Cherokee is the ultimate ride choice.
By DefenderDarko
A totaled Grand Cherokee is a loss for everyone.

I use a detachable rack. Once it's all wired up and finished, it's not really detachable anymore. Plan ahead! use connector brackets on all your main cables. I did not.

A Thule basket is great, I just used a cheap version from Wal-Mart.

By pyhasanon
I currently have magnets on my car as well... the instructions mine came with said not to use them in speeds of over 35 mph, but I tried them at 75 mph for like 2 hours on a cold windy day with no trouble...
zeta otaku, Dan AKA liked this
By pyhasanon
Yeah, make sure to check with your local laws as you're planning your rig... you don't want to spend money on something they may never allow you to use...
By Grimmy GB
I lived in nc for most of my life. Where I was, you could have a parade vehicle with blue or red lights rigged with a switch at the farthest part of the vehicle or locked in your glove compartment. Maybe they're different from city to city (or county).
By zeta otaku
Those magnets are awesome. I've only ever lost one and it was my own fault. It wasn't laying flat against the door and I was doing 90, so.... yeah >_>
By thelegendofvix
pyhasanon wrote:Yeah, make sure to check with your local laws as you're planning your rig... you don't want to spend money on something they may never allow you to use...
Thanks for the heads up.
Grimmy GB wrote:I lived in nc for most of my life. Where I was, you could have a parade vehicle with blue or red lights rigged with a switch at the farthest part of the vehicle or locked in your glove compartment. Maybe they're different from city to city (or county).
Interesting. That makes sense.
zeta otaku wrote:Those magnets are awesome. I've only ever lost one and it was my own fault. It wasn't laying flat against the door and I was doing 90, so.... yeah >_>
That could be a problem because I love to speed. My driving history can attest to that lol.
Farah wrote:very nice Ecto-1v. I hope that you enjoy it.
I know I will.
By zeta otaku
Heh, don't worry about the magnets too much. Just make sure they sit FLAT against the door. When you take them off, store them flat so they don't curl... and if the DO, warm them up a bit and they'll flatten out.
By Lowberg
thelegendofvix wrote:my wife really wanted the white one which was fine with me (because of ulterior motives lol).
When I read this I seriously laughed out loud hahahahah

As far as the lights go, I wouldn't be too concerned. My friend has his car all done up like an ecto and he gets pulled over by state troopers all the time because they want to take pictures of his car lol Cops love ghostbusters
By ieatmousetraps
Following this thread because your build is pretty similar to mine. I've gotten a lot done in 2 months. Everything on mine is 100% removable ( it's just a pain in the butt to do)

Still a work in progress- and yes... the plan is to eventually paint it white. :)

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 13&t=39313

By thelegendofvix
ieatmousetraps wrote:Following this thread because your build is pretty similar to mine. I've gotten a lot done in 2 months. Everything on mine is 100% removable ( it's just a pain in the butt to do)

Still a work in progress- and yes... the plan is to eventually paint it white. :)

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 13&t=39313

Ok, now I'm motivated to get back in gear (pun intended).
ieatmousetraps liked this
By nkhex19
Did the Ecto-1v ever get finished? This thread motivated me to try and do the same. Just purchased a 2016 White GMC Acadia and thought about making it into an Ecto but it is our family car so like your Jeep the roof rack, lights, etc. would have to be 100% removable so no drilling holes and all that good stuff. If I get it started I'll make a thread about it.
By D1gger
nkhex19 wrote:Did the Ecto-1v ever get finished? This thread motivated me to try and do the same. Just purchased a 2016 White GMC Acadia and thought about making it into an Ecto but it is our family car so like your Jeep the roof rack, lights, etc. would have to be 100% removable so no drilling holes and all that good stuff. If I get it started I'll make a thread about it.
Did you ever convert your Acadia? I did my Terrain for Halloween and it came out pretty well, I would love to see how the Acadia turned out...
By nkhex19
Did you ever convert your Acadia? I did my Terrain for Halloween and it came out pretty well, I would love to see how the Acadia turned out...[/quote]

Unfortunately this Halloween I didn't get a chance to do anything to the Acadia except door magnets. I do have a basic idea what I'll do by next Halloween and I hope to put a build thread here also. Even with just door magnets it was fun seeing so many peoples reactions to it.

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]