By SabaSka109
Here's an update...

So I sourced true Force 4 XL bars...these aren't the replacement Code 3 XL's that you may see on the "restored" Ecto (the front, incorrectly sized bar on the movie car now is a Code 3 XL).

These will be getting fully restored by a guy who can make them look like they're fresh out-of-the-box. They both have the same exact setup inside as the ones on the original movie car. For some reason, one of the bars has a slightly italicized text on the side of the domes...I have no idea why and didn't really care because these are so freaking hard to find.

I also don't know if my Unity S6 mirror photo was ever posted:

This is the correct model with the rear-view mirror attached to the back of the light. I have 2 brand new blue lenses, once of which will eventually be housed on this obviously.

Also, the 1960 to 1959 conversion continues:

As you can see above, the 1960 rear quarter panels are officially off!

So now the 1959 panels need to be prepped...

They will look a lot prettier once they have been sand-blasted.
AJ Quick liked this
By drcaron
looking a real good job have ben done on the car and with all those new equipment parts just keep on and you will have a nice Eco-1 ,thank you for the picture of the wheel house with out the quater panel on this will help for my project .

Martim
By odiemodie
This has just got to be the one of the most ambitious and most dedicated Ecto projects that has alot of "Never say never" written all over it that I have ever seen... despite some cautions and against all odds quotes/ recommendations... but what an expensive way to prove your point it can be done!

No negs at all... just so amazed and in total admiration of what you are to and WILL accomplish! Indeed, a true GHOSTBUSTER!

I've got to quit my belly-aching, and git goin' on my own Ecto project as well... (though, it won't be as monsteriously awesome as this!) :blush:

Continue in your awesome good works, brother Saba! :cool:
By SabaSka109
Really? Does the handle go through to the inside on your car? I take it the Unity website will have the part - their website is actually good for finding stuff which is refreshing (most other websites suck).

And Odie, thanks for your words...much appreciated...it's a labor of love (and money).
By 69428scj
The shaft will go through the firewall, but the handle will not attach unless the longer shaft is used....I found out the hard way. Their site does have the part listed but I'd recommend calling and asking specifically for the shaft because many of the ones listed on their site also have the base for the lamp housing attached.
By SabaSka109
ChapterMasterTu'Shan wrote:Sabaska isn't the one doing the work. He has a professional shop doing the resto-conversion.
Yeah, there's no way I'd risk screwing something up that actually requires a lot of experience and talent to pull off...especially considering that any little mistake will cost me another 4-5 grand more than likely. :sigh:
FunkPunkTwang liked this
Very nice work so far, I've often wondered why more people don't do this conversion, being that real '59's are so scarce. Be sure and keep us posted, I've been following this thread since I found it!
By SabaSka109
Hello my friends. Work on the car continues as we approach Christmas.

New windows have been made using the originals as reference (obviously). The curved glass, windshield, and rear door glass will all be originals because those pieces would have been too pricey to reproduce when the ones I've got are certainly nice enough to be used.

The remainder of the 59 pieces are being sand-blasted this week...here's one last look at what will be...

The doors have been completely prepped for closure...

And now it's time to get the engine in to make sure it fits for sure so that appropriate mounting changes can be made (it would suck to get it all together and not be able to close the hood if you know what I mean...)

...it fits!

XxEctOxX, AJ Quick liked this
By SabaSka109
Yes, with the start of the new year it's time to post another update. My 1959 parts have finally been prepared for grafting onto the car...I can not wait to be able to show even more photos at the time of my next update.

These sure looked their age before...

But, it was time to get them looking pretty...

It worked...

In fact, it worked for the hood, skirts, and some other odds and ends...

As 69428scj implied back at the beginning of the thread, the fins definitely are a bit different in terms of height when compared to typical 59 Caddies. Fortunately, with reference to a true 1959 Miller and using the chrome molding from it, I know the exact difference in terms of measurement. My fins will be modded by the fraction of an inch they need to be precise...it sure is awesome (and expensive) having an amazing custom/classic bodywork guy and his team helping out by doing all of this crazy work!
By SabaSka109
Uh...if there's something strange in your neighborhood it may be a car that actually managed to get a year older...

The 1959 rear quarter panels are on and the bumper is going to be lined up and applied shortly to make sure it fits like Cinderella's glass slipper. As you can see, the rear outer window trim is also in place (it's a little hard to see, but it's there). Once the fin height is adjusted ever so slightly the windows will be placed and the other trim will be installed as well to border between the windows.
jackdoud, Carpeteria, AJ Quick and 2 others liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]