Hi all, this will be my ecto goggle build thread. A little history; I originally purchased a set of matty goggles and was soo sorely disappointed. IMO they do not stack up to the amazing trap and PKE meter, those items blew me away when I unboxed them, but the goggles to me seem way small, cheap and toy like.

In an effort to make them look better before last Halloween I did a rush job on spray painting them but knew they just didn't seem right. I have a set of functional PVS-5s, that I think play the part real well but they are way too heavy to wear to a convention or event. So I set out to find a non-functional pair and gut them to make them lighter. I think using as many real parts make the prop seem more convincing. Here is my progress so far:

Picture of all 3 for comparison:

Unscrewing the oculars:

The oculars removed (already a ton lighter):

Removing objectives:

Now for the fun part, knocking out the intensifiers with a heavy hammer:

Now to see what I can lighten in the objectives, there were soo many parts to take out:

Now that they are nice and light...I want to work on lighting them up to add some coolness factor. This is me shining a flashlight through one of the lenses. What do you think? I am thinking of adding some LEDs and using the original battery compartment if possible.
Kingpin liked this
I know it was a little painful to basically destroy perfectly good pvs-5 lenses. I do want to eventually go for more movie accurate lenses and recently saw a post that both original sources were identified. Tomorrow should be arriving some green photographic gel plastic that I am going to put in the lenses to give them a green glow. Going to take a trip to the ole radio shack and see what LEDs are available. I hope to post an update on progress by the end of the weekend.
I finally got some time to do more work on my ecto goggles. I found some cheap rayovac led 2 AA batter flashlights that had a reflector size that would fit the tubes. Also this would let me use the real battery tube and switch.

I figured out which pins were hot when you turned on the switch which I though would be pretty cool to use the actual switch. If it would not have worked I would have replaced the real switch with a rheostat.

Next was to install the light assemblies. The green filter plastic was photography lighting gel film.

Then I added some padding to the tubes for comfort and to keep from getting poked if I wear them other then on my forehead. You can actually still see around the frame if you wear them as if you were really using them.

I also added a retro looking led bulb lens on the bottom with a 7 color multi flash bulb from radio shack for a little flare...lol.

Added some of the metallic stickers, turned it on and it is has a really cool green glow.
Kingpin liked this
Thanks I appreciate that. After using this at quite a few conventions I can say they are comfortable and play the part more authentically IMO thank the Matty version. I am going to work on making them more movie accurate this year. However, I feel that variations are okay and each team member might have slightly different gear which would have been used. If you have any questions let me know.
    Proton Props UK

Hey guys, I just wanted to give a quick update on […]

Ecto Containment Unit

First off awesome work!!! second of all where did […]

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome