By robpenfold
Hey folks, I am about to embark on a goggle build. I've just ordered Nick's kit and can't wait until it gets here. In the meantime, I've been researching the hell out of this and reading every goggle build because I want to have a plan when these get here so I get them done in time for halloween.

I want to make them as realistic as possible. To that end I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for in this forum.

1. How do people attach real metal snaps to resin/fiberglass frames? I'd rather avoid any glue scenario. Are there any mechanical methods that work i.e. rivet snaps, screw posts?

2. Attaching the lenses; it looks to me like the lens bases are sandwiched between a front plate and the frames. Is there a backing plate as well for a stronger hold? Does anyone make the metal face plate anymore? I know MMM used to but I know he's closed up shop.

3. Does anyone make a realistic face pad? I see authentic ones on evilbay but all the auctions say they cannot ship outside of the US and since I'm in Canada that means I'm s.o.l. I could make one easily enough I suppose.

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance for the help.
By Kingpin
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

1) There are four methods that come to mind for attaching the snaps to the Goggle frame:

a) Applying them as they were applied to the real PVS-5 Night Vision Goggles, with a hammer and application tool (although this is the method used on the genuine article, it will carry a degree of risk if too much force is applied to the frame via the application process).
b) Gluing them on.
c) Riveting them on.
d) Attaching them with nuts and bolts. (This would be my preferred method)

2) We don't know how the lenses on the original prop were held on, but fan replicas have made use of a sandwich system, lenses that are screwed/riveted on, and some which are glued on. The first set of Goggles I had featured glued on lenses, and one of them popped off pretty quickly. My second set, which were made using a cast of a PVS-5 frame, featured lenses that were glued into place on the inside of the Goggles, and friction held into the holds I'd cut into the faceplate by rubber washers. I've had a quick look and couldn't locate any sellers currently making metal face plates, however that doesn't mean there isn't someone out there selling them.

3) The odd one might pop up here, however your better chance is with eBay... Even with the price. That being said, being an owner of a genuine face pad, I'm not convinced the Ecto Goggle prop had a genuine one, as the pad they used appears to be significantly thinner. You might be able to achieve the right look with some foam you've cut by hand. :) However if you're set on getting a real one, you could see if one of our US members would be willing to buy and ship it to you (As memory serves, that's what I had to do to get mine).

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)
By robpenfold
Thanks Kingpin, that info helps a lot.

1. Riveting might be the easiest. Do you have a picture of the snaps secured with nuts?
2. I think I will try the sandwich method. I will post something in the Wanted section here to see if someone has a metal faceplate. Otherwise I will try making one of either sheet styrene or some think aluminum.
3. I will likely just make my own facepad then with some foam and some faux leather and have it snap on to the frame.

I will likely have more questions as I get into this build. I will also post some pictures as I go. I didn't document my pack or uniform builds so I should do this one.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]