Been watching old episodes of 3rd Rock from the Sun on Netflix lately.

In the beginning of an episode entitled "Angry Dick" (Season 1, E 13) the Solomons are observing their neighbors with various telescopes and binoculars.

Harry (French Stewart) is wearing AN/PVS-5 night-vision goggles.

Alex
Same prop showed up for a split-second in a later episode of 3rd Rock. Their car radio had been stolen, so Sally was beefing up security around their house. She holds up the goggles for just a moment.

It almost looked like there were holes in the faceplate, big gaps where you could see the color of her shirt through the frame's front, but then I am not sure what a real set looks like with the original tubes in place.

Alex
I figure this has been mentioned before in the 'references' thread, so I'll just tack it in here...

In the Hallowe'en episode from Season 3 (episode 5, "Scaredy Dick"), Harry and Dick are convinced there's a ghost in the house. Dick (John LIthgow) grabs the phone book, Harry (French Stewart) asks "Who ya gonna call, Dick?!"

Dick replies, "GHOSTBUSTERS!"

Harry says, "Are you crazy? (beat) This is their busiest season!"

Alex
More 3rd Rock coolness...

Right after I had an impulse to know what the correct model of videocamera Ray has over his shoulder in GB2 was (which Jack Doud identified and I am now in negotiations with an eBay seller to buy, as discussed in a thread in the Other Props section), I returned to my marathon viewing of 3rd Rock.

In one episode Harry is making a video-dating testimonial and he just so happens to use a Panasonic PV-700, the same model as the very first VHS videocamera I ever owned!

That's me around 1995 or so?

In the episode, they put a sticker over the P in Panasonic, to hide the name brand.

I actually still have that camera, despite the fact it doesn't work. Saw it in a closet the other day.

Now if only I could find some 3rd Rock cosplayers who are trying to track one down, LOL.

Alex
Dusting off this old thread of mine...

I tried to change the title of the first post to be "AN/PVS-5 frames in other movies and TV shows" but it doesn't seem to let me change it any longer.

Mods, please help?

Nevertheless, in a way it's appropriate that I found this old thread about 3rd Rock because the other day I was on Netflix watching the 1986 movie The Manhattan Project, also starring John Lithgow, and noticed some familiar-looking night vision goggles in a brief scene.

I posted a screencap to my FB page, but then didn't think anything about it.

Today, I was watching the 1985 Tom Hanks film The Man With One Red Shoe, and spotted some more... worn by none other than actor Tom Noonan, whose credits include Robocop 2 and The Last Action Hero, but who will forever be the Tooth Fairy to me from the 1986 movie Manhunter, based off the book Red Dragon.

So I wandered in here and did a search for threads about the goggles. I got a lot of hits for 1984's Sixteen Candles, which has been mentioned in several past threads.

And I also found reports of this style of surplus night-vision goggles showing up in 1995's Home for the Holidays [worn by Robert Downey, Jr.], Stargate SG-1, and Supernatural... but no one provided any pictorial evidence.

Also, sorry about my old pics from Third Rock no longer being active links.

Anyone think of other places you've seen this type of NVG? Pics, please!

Alex

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]