Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
I don't think Stan Lee ever got permission to use New York's permission to make Hell's Kitchen the cesspool of organised and petty crime that the Daredevil comics make it out to seem. I've never heard of any complaints from the small towns or big cities that have the totally depraved serial killers and other unsubs as seen in Criminal Minds. You can set a movie to take place anywhere. It's part of why the credits have that blurb at the end about the movie having been a work of fiction and that any resemblance to actual events/people is purely coincidental. Certainly I've never heard of
Chris Brewin wrote:I don't think Stan Lee ever got permission to use New York's permission to make Hell's Kitchen the cesspool of organised and petty crime that the Daredevil comics make it out to seem. I've never heard of any complaints from the small towns or big cities that have the totally depraved serial killers and other unsubs as seen in Criminal Minds. You can set a movie to take place anywhere. It's part of why the credits have that blurb at the end about the movie having been a work of fiction and that any resemblance to actual events/people is purely coincidental. Certainly I've never heard of
That's good to know, thanks. I'll definitely be putting that kind of blurb at the end (even though the movie portrays the location in a positive way).
Businesses are private organizations, cities are public. Of course you can mention a city and stage a movie in it any time you want. There's no such thing as copyright protection in this case, because a city belongs to its citizens, not its CEO or board of directors.
Sav C, GBGeorge liked this
Astyanax wrote:Businesses are private organizations, cities are public. Of course you can mention a city and stage a movie in it any time you want. There's no such thing as copyright protection in this case, because a city belongs to its citizens, not its CEO or board of directors.
As Astyanax wrote cities are public if they for some reason isnt trademarked. A friend of mine used Stockholm in a small indie movie he did and it ran on some theatres in Stockholm and it was even sponsored by the city so i think its ok. Good luck with your venture!
Sav C liked this
GBGeorge wrote:As Astyanax wrote cities are public if they for some reason isnt trademarked. A friend of mine used Stockholm in a small indie movie he did and it ran on some theatres in Stockholm and it was even sponsored by the city so i think its ok. Good luck with your venture!
Thanks, and welcome to the site!
Sav C wrote:I'm wondering Visit Website | view Texas parcel data here | https://www.svekenyasafaritours.com/ | https://www.svekenyasafaritours.com/ind ... rom-india/ if I can set my screenplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIR1dfB2p20 | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwIAZKS9t1oin a real city and mention it learn more about storage auckland | this is super cheap storage outby name? If it is portrayed in a neutral/positive light, do I need permission to use it's name? I won't use any real businesses, considering there's a very good chance they won't let me film there navigate green building consulting here | extra title 24 calculations resources | view calgreen consultant home page | find more california title 24
Mentioning a place is very legal because no government authority is in charge of manning the mention of a city or place. You won't get into trouble. Filming places is a different story because, in most cities or places, you will need a filming license to film landmarks and sites (it's a security measure due to terrorist attacks....i'm pretty sure it wasn't such a big deal in the 80s)
Last edited by aimeusdietger on January 18th, 2019, 4:29 am, edited 11 times in total.
Sav C liked this
aimeusdietger wrote:Mentioning a place is very legal because no government authority is in charge of manning the mention of a city or place. You won't get into trouble. Filming places is a different story because, in most cities or places, you will need a filming license to film landmarks and sites (it's a security measure due to terrorist attacks....i'm pretty sure it wasn't such a big deal in the 80s)
Welcome to the site, thanks for your input! I'm really happy you brought this thread up since I hit writer's block half way through my script and there it has stuck, however I've been thinking of new ideas for it recently so I'll have to give it a look. I do that a lot, I'll write part of something, put it down, and sometimes come back a year or two later and finish it.

I have a question about the filming though--if you are caught while filming without a permit you can get in trouble, however if you film without a permit and get away with it, can you get in trouble later on after it's released?

Also, what if a trademarked logo appears in the background of one of your shots? Obviously businesses will pay product placement to have their logo seen, but what happens if for instance a computer is in a shot with Google open or something? Basically, as long as attention isn't called to the brands will it be a problem?
Sav C wrote:but what happens if for instance a computer is in a shot with Google open or something? Basically, as long as attention isn't called to the brands will it be a problem?
You could get in trouble for using a logo without permission.

Alternatives I'd suggest would include:
*Blurring out the logo in post-production.
*Not displaying the logo in the first place.
*Mock up your own fake search engine and have it displayed on the screen while filming (though depending on the screen, you may need to edit it in in post anyway so that it's legible to read, it's rare for computers in films not to display some sort of green screen these days, and have the screen graphics added in at a later date after the filming has finished).
Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote:
Sav C wrote:but what happens if for instance a computer is in a shot with Google open or something? Basically, as long as attention isn't called to the brands will it be a problem?
You could get in trouble for using a logo without permission.

Alternatives I'd suggest would include:
*Blurring out the logo in post-production.
*Not displaying the logo in the first place.
*Mock up your own fake search engine and have it displayed on the screen while filming (though depending on the screen, you may need to edit it in in post anyway so that it's legible to read, it's rare for computers in films not to display some sort of green screen these days, and have the screen graphics added in at a later date after the filming has finished).
Correct

This is what I do for a living (graphic designer for film + tv), absolutely best play it safe with logos and branding. Dealing with clearance is one of my biggest headaches and there's no one size fits all answer so my preference is create everything from scratch from food branding all the way to street signage...although do remember even when creating from scratch to make sure you have permission for whatever fonts you use as even that can cause problems down the line.

Clearance can take weeks so if you do want to use something , don't just assume you can ask on the day.

Also even when I've got permission for say a mobile or computer to be used, a separate clearance is needed for the carrier, so I tend to create a static graphic for the screen for distant shots and a motion graphic for closeups complete with my own apps and network.
Sav C, Noremon liked this
As a filmmaker, I can agree that the advice you have been given here is pretty spot on.
-You can set your film in any public setting.
Permits are required in almost all public places, but depending on the place, they may be easy to get and inexpensive...or hard to get and require you to hire police, etc)
If you film on private property, a permit is often not required...except in certain cities...like LA.
If you are caught filming without a permit, you can be shut down and fined. It is a misdemeanor offense. If you get away with it, you will most likely be ok in the future, unless you were breaking other laws while filming...but I am not sure it is worth the risk unless it is a no-budget production. Making movies is expensive, and getting shut down can cost a lot. Call your local film office and they will help you figure out what you need to do...they are there to help you.

-It is best practice to cover any logos that will be identifiable. For the most part, if you are using a product in its intended purpose, and are not showcasing or implying participation from a certain brand, it would be fine from a legal standpoint. (You don't need to cover every logo of every car in a movie...but it's best to be cautious and cover any logos that will be easily identifiable, just in case.)
Sav C liked this
    Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]