Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By tylergfoster
No way the Wikipedia article is right. Doesn't VF actually say he was a kid during the Crossrip? How old could he be, max, 7 years later? Plus of course I know it says he's never seen a ghost trap up close. It's also obvious that he would just say "I worked with them" in the trailer if that were true, not to mention he refers to New York in "the '80s" and the game is 1991.

If TVG survives as canon, it will almost certainly be because Afterlife is vague, not because it's explicit, leaving 1991 open to interpretation. Never expect a major movie aimed at the broadest possible audience to get granular with stuff that only the die-hards will understand. Even the Marvel movies, currently the dominant force in media, introduce complicated comics canon to the MCU as little Easter Eggs first and then explain in full in another movie. Even though TVG is the biggest ancillary GB thing next to the cartoon, you still have to figure 85% of the audience would have no idea there's a third adventure, and that bringing it up would be confusing (and we don't have any reason to believe Jason and Gil Kenan would've known enough to incorporate it when they wrote the script).
Last edited by tylergfoster on December 10th, 2019, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSJmole, WorldofthePsychic, Scum and 2 others liked this
By XenuPrime
Janine and Louis Tully could have split up and Janine got with Egon, but I doubt it.

As far as Egon showing up in some form, I really hope its a last minute helping hand to his grand kids as a ghost. Ray, Peter and Winston are out of commission and the big bad is about to beat the kids when the spectral (like in RGB) Egon reaches through whatever portal, etc they are trying to close and turns the tables.

And doing it as a RGB looking cartoonish ghost would sidestep the moral question of recreating Harold Ramis. Mostly.
WorldofthePsychic liked this
So here's my thoughts,

The farm is Egon's. He and Ray found the Shandor mine after the events of GB2.
With the Ghostbusting business slowing down after GB2, They needed to get away from the harrasment of NYC and being called fakes.

They did however have an ECU full of ghosts. The Shandor mine was the perfect solution. they used the selenium to rebuild a larger ECU in the mine. However, they realized that the ECU was pulling in spiritual turbulence on it's own due to Shandor's influence and residual energy from his necromancy.

Ray and Egon had some difference of opinion and Ray left Egon to care for the ECU. Now that Egon has passed, the ECU is starting to break down. Cracks in the containment field are causing the tremors in town. It would also explain the ghosts escaping slowly.

At some point, someone or some event shuts down the ECU completely. This releases the terror dogs and other spectral beings. The kids are now over their heads. Mr. Grooberman is possessed by Vince Clortho. Maybe even their mom is possessed by the gatekeeper who were again drawn to this event.

The old team finds out about this event and realize what is happening and show up to save the world once again with the help of Egon's grandkids.
By ghostJAR
Has anyone brought up the idea that Callie is lying to Trevor and Phoebe about the house belonging to their grandad.

I came to this conclusion after thinking about what Trevor said. They moved because they are broke, but his mom doesn’t want to admit it. Sounds like she’s hiding something.

Also Phoebe is only retelling what her mother told her.
By TB3
OtherBill wrote: December 10th, 2019, 1:14 pm
TB3 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:03 am So thrilled by the new trailer.

For what it's worth, I took a close look at the map shown in the trailer - it's a real map, and places Summerville exactly where the real Oklahoma town of Woodward (Woodward County) is located:

That jives with the signs from the set.

https://www.country95.fm/2019/08/08/gho ... -filming/

Awesome - thanks for the confirmation.

Though it's a bit unusual that they've got signs for both US 412 and US 60 - 412 goes through Woodward/Summerville but 60 is further to the south (its the road connecting the towns of Vici and Seiling, which I marked on the map) - the 412 and 60 don't converge until further east in the town of Orienta, and then they share the same road as far as Enid.

And wouldn't US Routes have the 'sheild' design instead of the state's outline?

It might just be that as a Brit I'm reading this wrong - could two signs 'stacked' like this mean that the road in question leads to those routes, or is a part of those routes? If the latter, then we've got conflicting evidence, where the map says Summerville is located in Woodward, but the road signs place it somewhere between Orienta and Enid.
OtherBill liked this
By RichardLess
SSJmole wrote: December 10th, 2019, 11:28 am
Alphagaia wrote: December 10th, 2019, 9:25 am Also, to be fair, Ghostbusters almost spend nothing on marketing to get these views.
Was it almost nothing? I saw trailer as it was everywhere. Even ign had it up ect... Money has to have changed hands. Plus they filmed a brand new teaser we all saw , plus all the Ghostbusters stuff that came out like remastered game , new clothes in stores ect.... Constant interviews. The movies that made us , the Hasbro campaign ect...

I do think this is more traditional way of marketing (except the new teaser for online that was actually a modern style) as that how films always used to do. Get your brand noticed if that's t-shirts if that toys if that's games whatever just get it with noticed and get people talking about the brand before you release the trailer.

Make no mistake that's not an insult I actually prefer that method to the aggressive posters and banners on web pages and sponsoring YouTube too much as that normally has the opposite effect on me. Example I didn't play Red dead redemption 2 at launch as by the time it came out I was sick of seeing it , where as this method makes you remember what you liked about a franchise and then oh something new has come out when you are thinking about it. It feels more natural.

I would make the case they probably cost the same amount of money both styles it's just one is non-stop advertising. The other feels more like gorilla advertising that's less BUY OUR THING" and more "hey , you like this thing right? Well have you seen this thing?" And I will admit I actually do appreciate that.
"Money had to have changed hands"

...Yeah that's not at all how it works. Movies that Made Us had to pay a license fee to have all that footage shown. Sony didn't pay them. They paid Sony. IGN hosted the trailer because it drives traffic to the site because that's what kind of website it is. Sony does not pay websites to feature the trailer(unless it shows up clearly in the advertising space of a website). Saying "money had to have changed hands" like something dirty and conspiracy related is going on is disingenuous. It sounds like you want to hate this movie. Like you are taking out what happened in 2016 out on the movie or something? I don't know. But "money had to have changed hands" because a popular IP trailer to a movie people are curious about is EVERYWHERE is a bit of a weird thing to assume.

Trailers like this are IGN bread & butter. It's a pop culture site.

Marketing is done is stages. You don't blow your load all at once. Movies That Made Us wasn't marketing. There are 3 other episodes about other movies from different companies that do not have sequels. If it were marketing, it would've come out in late June.

Just as an aside. We can't compare the marketing to GB2016 to the marketing for GB2020. The marketing for GB16 was infamously poorly done(this isn't about the finished film. People lost jobs over the marketing of GB16. Paul Feig was FURIOUS). The trailer was released INSANELY late for a movie that cost 144 million. By comparison(which I just said we shouldn't do, and this should highlight why) GB2020 has had 2 teasers out at a time in the marketing cycle when GB16 didn't have 1 and wouldn't have 1 for months to come.
By Nova
I have a question about the "supposed reddit plot leak" that has "supposedly been debunked" don't click the spoiler tag if you don't want to read it.
This Post Contains Spoilers
Last edited by Nova on December 10th, 2019, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tylergfoster
XenuPrime wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:16 pmAs far as Egon showing up in some form, I really hope its a last minute helping hand to his grand kids as a ghost.

And doing it as a RGB looking cartoonish ghost would sidestep the moral question of recreating Harold Ramis. Mostly.
Personally, I don't think there's any version of ghost Egon that isn't 1) embarrassing and 2) at least a touch disrespectful. I expect him to convey a message from the other side, maybe even through words, but probably not voice or any kind of visual representation of Egon himself.
By RichardLess
Nova wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:42 pm I have a question about the "supposed reddit plot leak" that has "supposedly been debunked" don't click the spoiler tag if you don't want to read it.
OH god. I take everything back about what I said regarding the plot leak being legit. I guess I combined stuff in my mind with what I had heard back in Febuary mixed with set photos and blah blah blah.

Yeah. Ghostbusters obviously aren't in business if Ghosts haven't been seen in 30 years. That leaks bogus.

My bad. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Corey91, Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By Coover5
Nova wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:42 pm I have a question about the "supposed reddit plot leak" that has "supposedly been debunked" don't click the spoiler tag if you don't want to read it.
groschopf liked this
By JonXCTrack
Coover5 wrote:
The reddit post linked above wasn't the original post, however. It was originally posted under a plot speculation thread in July 2018 - before the set photos started to leak. So that's really the only thread to cling to at this point, unless there's something else about Ghostbusters, Inc. that the trailer hasn't revealed yet.
By Coover5
RichardLess wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:50 pm Ghostbusters obviously aren't in business if Ghosts haven't been seen in 30 years.
The context of "There hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years." is unclear. I am betting that line is tied directly to Shandor's Mine. Not saying I support any alleged leaked synopsis out there but how realistic is it to say there have been no ghosts anywhere for 30 years?
By pizzarat
Coover5 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:06 pm
RichardLess wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:50 pm Ghostbusters obviously aren't in business if Ghosts haven't been seen in 30 years.
The context of "There hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years." is unclear. I am betting that line is tied directly to Shandor's Mine. Not saying I support any alleged leaked synopsis out there but how realistic is it to say there have been no ghosts anywhere for 30 years?
Well, that's the "official" word any way. If we're to believe that no one remembers the 1984/1989 incidents, then it's very likely that ghosts still have been sighted in some capacity since then.
Coover5 liked this
By Adub794
Not saying I support any alleged leaked synopsis out there but how realistic is it to say there have been no ghosts anywhere for 30 years?
Probably as realistic as a giant marshmallow man walking around Manhattan. No ghosts in 30 years is plausible given the storyline and the lack of ghosts between GB1 and GB2
Coover5 liked this
By Nova
Coover5 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm
groschopf liked this
By philmorgan81
Wow! I have to say this trailer was everything I could have hoped for and more. I really love the fact that this trailer got me pumped without having to show any of the original cast. It was enough to just see all the uniforms hanging up in that storage area.

Now assuming Rudd is going to be a new Ghostbuster and not the new keymaster, it appears that we could potentially see 3 generations of Ghostbusters in this film. If the 3 remaining original guys slip into their uniforms in this movie there is the First Generation, Rudd could easily slip into Egon's jump suit and there is the Second Generation and the kids represent The Third Generaion and the future of Ghostbusting. I consider Rudd second generation since he was a kid during The 1984 Crossrip event. ;) Of course that is probably me just overthinking it. ;)

This is really shaping up to be something way better than anything I could have expected. I really have no words for how excited I am. :):):)
By mrmichaelt
Also, Egon made a secret underground workshop and elaborately hid a Trap under a floorboard. That's inherently made him even more cooler to me than he already was prior to the trailer. :D
TB3 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:03 am So thrilled by the new trailer.

For what it's worth, I took a close look at the map shown in the trailer - it's a real map, and places Summerville exactly where the real Oklahoma town of Woodward (Woodward County) is located:
THANK YOU. :)
Muwarrior21 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 11:19 am Egon has teenage grandchildren but he had no children as of 1989, how are they going to work out the logistics of that one? or are we to just suspend our reality meter here and go with it?

I was 5 in 1989 and for this to work out it would mean that egons daughter was "16 and pregnant" , what ya guys think!?
There's a lot of ways to go about it. Callie was likely born around 1982 like Coon. That means when Egon was a professor at Columbia. So he could have gotten someone pregnant prior to GB1. And for whatever reason, the woman didn't pursue Egon or didn't know who knocked her up or he kept it a secret, etc.

Or like many think, he was a sperm donor to make ends meet during college.

To be fair, some men in their 40s to 60s still can get women pregnant.

But at some point Egon knew of Callie, somehow accepted and/or confirmed she was his biological daughter, and left his Summerville property to her in his will or trust.
WorldofthePsychic wrote: December 10th, 2019, 12:11 pm Is everyone forgetting about Janine and Louis?!
I try to.
pizzarat wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:22 pm Well, that's the "official" word any way. If we're to believe that no one remembers the 1984/1989 incidents, then it's very likely that ghosts still have been sighted in some capacity since then.
Not to mention drunken "sightings" and reality television gumming up what an "official" sighting really means and or who even verified that for that matter.
By tylergfoster
JonXCTrack wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:06 pm
Coover5 wrote:
The reddit post linked above wasn't the original post, however. It was originally posted under a plot speculation thread in July 2018 - before the set photos started to leak. So that's really the only thread to cling to at this point, unless there's something else about Ghostbusters, Inc. that the trailer hasn't revealed yet.
I swear, we learned timestamps are still available on the deleted comments and determined that it was possible the comment was made after.
groschopf liked this
Ghost9791 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 1:47 pm I think it's Egon's Family, the kids look too much like him. The Farm house mentioned in GB1 is thrown me, yes Ray had a farm house but your right I think it's weird that he never would have connected the dots the the "Shandors Mine" after the events of the first film.

Maybe Egon found this mine and was studying it so he bought the farm house to be close by just in cast Gozer made a return on the 100th anniversary of the cult's creation in 1920, or this could just be a happy coinsurance.
Agreed. Though I have to admit, out of the four Egon is probably the least likely to be a family man. That been said, I get the impression that the mother of the kids didn't have the best relationship with her Father.

The second coming of Gozer, or another distructor? Works for me.

Am I the only one curious as to why a trap with a ghost still in it was hidden under the floor boards of the house?Or noticed the cylindrical book stacking?
My speculative 2 cents on Egon & Callie...

Egon was a professor or graduate student in Chicago. He had a wife or girlfriend that became pregnant in the early ‘80s. The 3 of them lived as a family until the mother cheated on him. Heartbroken, he accepted a job teaching paranormal studies at Columbia and moved away. He always loved his daughter but wasn’t the type that talks about things like that, so he never told his colleagues in New York. She was too young to remember him when her parents split up, so she never “knew” him. He moved on with life in New York, perhaps sending a birthday card or something to correspond from time to time, and she grew up in Chicago, never knowing of his involvement with Ghostbusters.

Wild guess just based on the Chicago eviction notice.
By tylergfoster
Michael Scott wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:26 pm My speculative 2 cents on Egon & Callie...

Egon was a professor or graduate student in Chicago. He had a wife or girlfriend that became pregnant in the early ‘80s. The 3 of them lived as a family until the mother cheated on him. Heartbroken, he accepted a job teaching paranormal studies at Columbia and moved away. He always loved his daughter but wasn’t the type that talks about things like that, so he never told his colleagues in New York. She was too young to remember him when her parents split up, so she never “knew” him. He moved on with life in New York, perhaps sending a birthday card or something to correspond from time to time, and she grew up in Chicago, never knowing of his involvement with Ghostbusters.

Wild guess just based on the Chicago eviction notice.
Someone (maybe you!) posted something akin to this somewhere else and I like it -- I'd never considered the mother might've withheld Callie from Egon, which would resolve the deadbeat dad thing with far less work than sperm donation.
mrmichaelt wrote:
Muwarrior21 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 11:19 am Egon has teenage grandchildren but he had no children as of 1989, how are they going to work out the logistics of that one? or are we to just suspend our reality meter here and go with it?

I was 5 in 1989 and for this to work out it would mean that egons daughter was "16 and pregnant" , what ya guys think!?
There's a lot of ways to go about it. Callie was likely born around 1982 like Coon. That means when Egon was a professor at Columbia. So he could have gotten someone pregnant prior to GB1. And for whatever reason, the woman didn't pursue Egon or didn't know who knocked her up or he kept it a secret, etc.

Or like many think, he was a sperm donor to make ends meet during college.

To be fair, some men in their 40s to 60s still can get women pregnant.

But at some point Egon knew of Callie, somehow accepted and/or confirmed she was his biological daughter, and left his Summerville property to her in his will or trust.
@ *referring to bold*

I would go with this theory, as well; seems very refereshing to me.
mrmichaelt liked this
By Sav C
Was I the only one reminded by the scene where they are under the table during the earthquake of the courtroom scene where they're hiding from the Scoleri brothers? I know those are completely different contexts, but they reminded me of each other nonetheless.
pizzarat wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:30 pmImage

I enhanced the temperarture on this a little bit. It definitely seems to look like the pink slime from GB II, but it also looks like something else is in the specimen jar too. Maybe it changes properties in inert status?
One thing is fairly certain about this screen-grab: the jars on the lower shelf look like a "[collection of] spores, molds, and funguses."

Edit: One possibility regarding Egon being the grandfather is that he could have been a step-grandfather. I know it is unlikely given the family resemblance, and that they weren't close enough for kids to know about the Ghostbusters, yet referred to him as their grandfather. However, I think it's a possibility that shouldn't be ruled out, since it would be easier to mesh with the existing timeline.
By Bison256
pizzarat wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Well, that's the "official" word any way. If we're to believe that no one remembers the 1984/1989 incidents, then it's very likely that ghosts still have been sighted in some capacity since then.
In the trailer Paul Rudd's character shows the kids a you tube video of an old news broadcast about the ghostbusters. So clearly they are still remembered. I think the main characters don't know because they're kids and what happened in new York was 30 years ago.
Sav C, robbritton liked this
By Sav C
Like Bison256 said, it is pretty clear that they are still remembered in some capacity. However, it wouldn't surprise me if many people rejected the events that transpired in 1984 due to them not being coherent with the world as we know it. People do a worse job at accepting basic facts than many would probably expect (source). I would not be shocked if there was significant debate over what really happened, if anything, in New York in 1984.

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]