Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By timeware
The gatekeeper stuff has been done. Id like to just see the terror dog not have a relationship to gozer. Maybe being a guard dog to the shandor mine.I'm sure shandor figured a way to train them or struck some kind of deal with Gozer originally.
tylergfoster, back liked this
By timeware
Maybe the terror dogs are drawn to whatevers in that ghost trap or end up being released from it? If slimers kept in the box maybe they want a little revenge. Yes they are, and we can have them acting independently. I think that would be more Interesting.
savintheday, back liked this
By mrmichaelt
savintheday wrote: December 9th, 2019, 11:16 pm The terror dogs are exclusively tied to Gozer though, right?

"I am Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer"
In the movie canon, yes. So far. In the animated canon, no. The one in Thole's dimension in RGB was on their own like stray beasts. Or the Governor of Ghost World in Jailbusters owned two.

I couldn't imagine them not doing some horror riff of the Terror Dogs chasing people through the field seen in the trailer.
savintheday, Sav C liked this
By SpaceBallz
Terror Dogs in RGB were just fan service. In canon they're servants of Gozer. Shandor and his people worshipped Gozer, and the marketing art overseas did show Gozer's temple. Definitely thinking Gozer is returning and Rudd gets possessed. Which doesn't bother me, makes sense within the story. The mine caves produced the materials for the NYC apartment building.
By LawgSkrak
The only thing I didn't like about the trailer was the line about how there's been no ghosts for 30 years. Which technically puts us around the timeframe of the game ( which is a good sign it is still considered canon), but kinda means the GB have no more adventures after the game.

Doesn't bode well for the comic continuity.
pizzarat liked this
By SpaceBallz
All due respect, the general audience doesn't know a thing about the comics. I'd imagine they figured that with the new star wars films. I'd disconnect them too.
By Sav C
droidguy1119 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:50 pm
Sav C wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:02 pm

While I'm at risk of misattributing a source, I feel like I remember part of it being covered in "The Facebook Dilemma."
How can an algorithm figure that out? How does an algorithm interpret sarcasm? How does the algorithm understand subjects that are indicated through extremely vague signifiers (such as a reaction that never used "Ghostbusters" in it)? How does it understand a "subject" at all (how does it know there's [a Ghostbusters movie trailer] and how to parse what constitutes [one opinion] versus [another])?

How does this change when you're only looking at either a) the people I follow and b) the chronological Twitter search tab that just shows you every unlocked Tweet from oldest to newest?

I don't think this makes sense.
Controversial posts tend to generate a larger response--both positive and negative--than non-controversial posts. On Reddit, an extreme view can be down-voted into oblivion. On Twitter, there is no downvote button, so by engaging with extreme content a person is making the content likely to be seen by more people. This results in opinions that go against general consensus getting an outsized amount of attention. Opinions in line with the general consensus are less likely to generate discussion, leading to them being less prominently represented than they would be if Twitter consensus reflected real consensus.

Basically, controversial opinions receive undue attention, giving them more prominence than they may deserve. The algorithm doesn't necessarily know what's controversial or not, only what's getting attention, and controversial posts get attention.

If you're sorting chronologically, then algorithms won't come into play.
By Sav C
mrmichaelt wrote: December 9th, 2019, 11:29 pm
I couldn't imagine them not doing some horror riff of the Terror Dogs chasing people through the field seen in the trailer.
I can totally see that happening! If Rick Moranis does appear in this, however unlikely, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a scene where he sees the terror dogs and has a "not this again" moment.

The trailer gets better with every rewatch.
By SSJmole
savintheday wrote: December 9th, 2019, 11:16 pm The terror dogs are exclusively tied to Gozer though, right?

I thought the terror dogs were exclusively vehicles for stay puft marshmallow Man ...... Are you saying LEGO dimensions was not canon?
robbritton liked this
By Alphagaia

They were also tied to the building. Both emerged from statues in their shape no doubt manufactured to pull their form from the other dimension.

The question remains if they (or Gozer) survived the explosion that destroyed their vessels, or if this is a new third Terror Dog, perhaps also from the building tasked with a different plan should the first one fail.
By Wiggyof9
timeware wrote:The gatekeeper stuff has been done. Id like to just see the terror dog not have a relationship to gozer. Maybe being a guard dog to the shandor mine.I'm sure shandor figured a way to train them or struck some kind of deal with Gozer originally.
I like the idea of rogue terror dogs. If they keep game continuity, Gozer is gone but we never learned the fate of Zuul and Vinz. Maybe they are trying to resurrect Gozer or take Gozer's place. That would be neat.

Either way, it looks like this movie will be heavy on lore. I do wonder how long it will be before the fun starts. This movie has to serve as a sequel as well as a soft reboot.

Also, for all of you ATC fans, since the terror dogs are back this can open the door for making that movie canon as at the end we know Patty hears the name Zuul. I wouldn't mind seeing that cast return with an actual director like Jason Reitman to set a more serious tone for them.
LawgSkrak wrote:The only thing I didn't like about the trailer was the line about how there's been no ghosts for 30 years. Which technically puts us around the timeframe of the game ( which is a good sign it is still considered canon), but kinda means the GB have no more adventures after the game.

Doesn't bode well for the comic continuity.
Doesn't really matter, anyway; the IDW comics continuity, as mrmichaelt said, is it's own thing and set apart from the 1984 movie continuity. I can enjoy many different continuities without any interference much like I can enjoy both Star Wars Canon and Star Wars Legends in peace.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
By SpaceBallz
The gatekeeper and keymaster were instrumental in opening Gozer's portal. I'd imagine they'd be instrumental again since Gozer's temple was in the marketing info overseas.
By Kingpin
JonXCTrack wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:59 pmYeah, weren’t you the guy that insisted that the house was too dilapidated to be the place the family was moving into? You were spectacularly wrong about that.
:whatever: I bet on the wrong pony based on the material I could work with at the time. It was a 50/50 guess that the more modern apartment block they'd been filmed with was either the place they were moving into, or out of.
JonXCTrack wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:59 pmWho’s to say that the leak wasn’t a rough outline and is correct in broad strokes?
Rudd's dialogue in the trailer regarding the fate of the company. The folks who established the "leak" was originally posted as a speculative guess. I still feel it's bogus, especially as it didn't give us any info on the character names.
JonXCTrack wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:59 pmAfter all, the goggles print polaroids now and appear to have a sound recording function. Why create this tech if your business is defunct? There is still plenty we don’t know.
With a scientist like Egon, I'm pretty sure he'd still be tinkering away with things even if the company was folded. After two world-threatening events, he was probably preparing for the next one... And then there's whatever conclusions he reached during the time he was alive in Summerville.
timeware wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:24 pm Stolen or misplaced? Was it ever returned after its use on knightrider or suburbon cammando?
Stolen. I dimly remember seeing part of a Police report mentioning it was the prop used in the Ghostbusters films. I'll see if I can find the references to the theft after a get back from my work Christmas do tonight.
groschopf, back, Sav C liked this
By RichardLess
SSJmole wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:23 am
GBfan_CH wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:02 am

Fair points and I respect your opinion. I’m just worried Ghostbusters is going to become a battleground again for conflicting viewpoints. The franchise might not survive another wave of overtly negative publicity.
That's true though the fandom caused that itself. I've seen so many people abandon it after what happened. Like I've said before a girl in my family liked ghostbusters , she loved cartoons she even use to have have slimer plushie. Then when ATC came out she was harassed for want to see it online , threatened in the street for wearing a ghostbusters top. She no has 0 ghostbusters things , she got rid of them all. Even I fell out of the fandom over it.

So you have to think if the nasty sexist negative people forced alot of the good people out then a large chunk that's left is the toxic ones.

Alot of people in the fandom sat by and let it be all that was associated with the brand. So I fully expect that type of thing to occur again because essentially the fandom encouraged it by doing nothing because "my movie" is more important to them than common human decency.

Which like i said if you don't like it it's fine. You don't attack others over it. If this movie is as bad as it looks I have 0 issue with any fans did enjoy it and I hope they had fun. I will not be trying to force the cast members to flee Twitter and I won't be sending them death threats. I just won't be buying anything of it.

One big part of why it looks off to me is like someone else in the topic said it's the loss of New York. All the time they always talk about New York as a character. And that's what those movies had. Now it's in a small town with open unpopulated fields. It's lost something very important to it.

Just like the scenes I saw in the trailer did not seem like they came from the Ghostbusters film. I felt like every cliched teen superhero or supernatural movie going. Where is the original Ghostbusters felt like it was something different.

Ironically I would say men in black 1 is closer Ghostbusters movie than that trailer. Which is weird don't be wrong men in black one is a great film (I love all four)

but this seems heatless. It's like Sony just said "we need to make money what popular , ah stranger things cast one of them and set in a similar location and give it a similar tone. What else? Ahhh the mcu is popular give us Ant-Man discovering technology again from a old hero they loved that in Ant-Man one!" And that worries me.
I'm not going to comment on any of the other stuff in this post because...I don't even know where to begin.

However in regards to New York, I think you're wrong. When I first heard the movie wouldn't be set in New York I was disappointed. Ghostbusters and New York, they just go together. It's a package deal.

But then I thought about what's happened in movies since 1989 when the last Ghostbusters film was released. How many times have we seen New York saved? Men in Black, countless Spider-Man & Avenger movies. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Godzilla & on and on it goes.

New York is not the same New York in the 1980's. New York is more like Disneyland now than it was during the '80s. All that real world aesthetic feels sanitized and safe & corporate. The reboot was set in NYC(tho not shot there) and it didn't make a single difference.

This trailer, half of it, was designed to NOT FEEL like a Ghostbusters movie. Watch it again. People are right when they say it doesn't feel like a Ghostbusters movie. It's not suppose to. That will come later I'm sure. They want to intrigue us with the plot and then go "Oh Wow this is a Ghostbusters movie too!?! And an actual real sequel? I'm in!" and it totally does that.

I mentioned months that Sony was reaaaallllyyyy going to have to nail this trailer to get people to forget about the reboot and I doubted their ability to do that. But man did they nail this beautifully. I still think they are making a mistake by not calling it Ghostbusters III: Afterlife(just to drive the point home that again, this is the real deal).

Audiences are easy to confuse. I work in film marketing and I remember reading a tracking report that said something like 15-20% of people who saw Star Wars Rogue One on opening weekend thought they were getting a sequel to the main Star Wars storyline. That's a lot.
So how many people will think this is related to GB16 & stay away? Dropping a simple "III" helps mitigate that a bit.

Anyways, all that crap that happened a few years ago is in the past. Move on and move forward. Or try to. We are finally getting a true sequel after years and years and years of false hope and legit tragedy. Think of all the wonderful GBfans out there who have passed away that never lived to see this moment. But the moment is here. Ask yourself this, had all that stuff happened back in 2016 not happened, would you feel different about this trailer? It seems so.
By LawgSkrak
I'm perfectly aware the comic is its own thing, but I like it when everything fits. If they had left that one line out, everything could continue to fit, is all I'm saying.

Is it going to take away from my enjoyment of the movie? No. I just would have preferred to think that the comics could just keep going and fit with it, as opposed to any continuing adventures being a continuity mistake with the new film.
By GBfan_CH
SSJmole wrote: December 10th, 2019, 12:35 am

I thought the terror dogs were exclusively vehicles for stay puft marshmallow Man ...... Are you saying LEGO dimensions was not canon?

Hang on, the old terror dogs were blown to bits back in the ol' crossrip of ''84. Maybe this is a new minion, Skits McKnee, also known as The Trendsetter. Very big in Sumeria.
I think Ray would be more likely to own a farm in the countryside than anyone else, but Egon was definitely working in that lab for a long time. I'm going to vote:

- Ray still lives local and that's how they get the car
- Egon isn't confirmed dead, but lost in the etheric plain
- Venkman, Janine, and Dana are only in flashbacks
- Winston might come to visit from the city and have two scenes
- Paul Rudd won't get possessed because possessions are done to death
By robbritton
LawgSkrak wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:21 am I'm perfectly aware the comic is its own thing, but I like it when everything fits. If they had left that one line out, everything could continue to fit, is all I'm saying.

Is it going to take away from my enjoyment of the movie? No. I just would have preferred to think that the comics could just keep going and fit with it, as opposed to any continuing adventures being a continuity mistake with the new film.
The IDW timeline is the best Ghostbusters timeline. The second they introduced the RGB and explained how their multiverse worked they ensured that the prime IDW line will be canon to every version of Ghostbusters that can ever exist, before or after. So this trailer has at once completely removed the comic from canon, AND done nothing whatsoever to effect its canon status!
By GBfan_CH
robbritton wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:03 am
LawgSkrak wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:21 am I'm perfectly aware the comic is its own thing, but I like it when everything fits. If they had left that one line out, everything could continue to fit, is all I'm saying.

The IDW timeline is the best Ghostbusters timeline. The second they introduced the RGB and explained how their multiverse worked they ensured that the prime IDW line will be canon to every version of Ghostbusters that can ever exist, before or after. So this trailer has at once completely removed the comic from canon, AND done nothing whatsoever to effect its canon status!
I wonder if there's a timeline where only GB2 is canon, in which two children's entertainers join forces with a scientist and a talk show host to form a nocturnal construction agency.
robbritton, LawgSkrak liked this
By RichardLess
Kingpin wrote: December 10th, 2019, 1:33 am
JonXCTrack wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:59 pmYeah, weren’t you the guy that insisted that the house was too dilapidated to be the place the family was moving into? You were spectacularly wrong about that.
:whatever: I bet on the wrong pony based on the material I could work with at the time. It was a 50/50 guess that the more modern apartment block they'd been filmed with was either the place they were moving into, or out of.
JonXCTrack wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:59 pmWho’s to say that the leak wasn’t a rough outline and is correct in broad strokes?
Rudd's dialogue in the trailer regarding the fate of the company. The folks who established the "leak" was originally posted as a speculative guess. I still feel it's bogus, especially as it didn't give us any info on the character names.
JonXCTrack wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:59 pmAfter all, the goggles print polaroids now and appear to have a sound recording function. Why create this tech if your business is defunct? There is still plenty we don’t know.
With a scientist like Egon, I'm pretty sure he'd still be tinkering away with things even if the company was folded. After two world-threatening events, he was probably preparing for the next one... And then there's whatever conclusions he reached during the time he was alive in Summerville.
timeware wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:24 pm Stolen or misplaced? Was it ever returned after its use on knightrider or suburbon cammando?
Stolen. I dimly remember seeing part of a Police report mentioning it was the prop used in the Ghostbusters films. I'll see if I can find the references to the theft after a get back from my work Christmas do tonight.
I'm shocked too but I think it's a pretty safe bet to say the leak is the real thing. There are just way too many "hits" that match up. It's easier to explain the things that don't exactly line up than it is to explain all the things that were on the money.

Consider this: when you type out the beats of a movie without proper context, things sound worse than they are. This happened with Avengers Endgame. Everyone was doubting the leaks that turned out to be true and calling them lame fan fiction. But when seen in the context of the movie everything works just fine. It's happening again with the latest Star Wars. Almost the entire plot has leaked and it sounds awful. But when you add in actors and dialogue and music and effects, that's where the magic is.

Imagine it being 1989 and reading the leaks to GB2. The Statue of Liberty comes alive? Louis and Jeanine? Louis become a Ghostbuster? The Ghostbusters get admitted to a looney bin? Mood slime? Really? There's only a single Ghostbusting sequence? And Winston isn't in it?

That all sounds terrible(and some would say it is terrible) but in the context of the movie, 90% of it works just fine. I love GB2. So do a lot of us here. But had we read the leak and it contained no dialogue and only story beats we'd think we were in store for something truly awful.

The leaks are probably true. I thought they were bogus based on the lack of character names but after seeing this trailer and going thru the recent leaks of Avengers, Game of Thrones and Star Wars, the fandom also acts the same (denial despite trailers lining up and hoping they aren't true, which then ruins the movie for them when it turns out they are true since they are focusing more on the leaks than the film)
BatDan, Sav C liked this
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]