Have you picked up your AMT Ecto-1a model yet? Start a topic in this forum and share your build along with hundreds of others!
I picked up the Model last week...here is what I have done on it.

Image The day I picked it up...I started working on it.

Image For those who didn't like the Ghostbusters 2 logos, they give you the originals. As well as Ecto -1 original plates.

Image O have the windows masked and ready to be painted to Model Master Window Tint Spray SKU# 2949.

Image Model advice...always paint the parts while still on the tree.

Image Detailing the Rack after spraying with a Testors Flat White #1258T.

Image The rack is almost completed.

Image Rack is completed. I am still working on the dish.

Here are the paints you will need.

FLAT BLACK - Testors Model Master (37038) Also Spray
GUARDS RED - Testors Model Master (Gloss #2718)
FLAT WHITE - Testors (1168) Also Spray.
SILVER - Testors (1146)
FLAT MED GREEN - Testors (1713)
FLAT YELLOW - Testors (1169)
FLAT BROWN - Testors (1166)
FLAT SEA BLUE - Testors (1172)
GLOSS WHITE - Testors Spray Enamel (1245)
GLOSS CLEAR COAT- Testors Spray (1814)

For the Lights: Testors Does make Clear Paints, but I went for the Tamiya Brand.
X-23 Clear Blue
X-24 Clear Yellow
X-25 Clear Green
X-26 Clear Orange
X-27 Clear Red

I have painted the undercarriage with Testor's Flat Black rattle can and let the paint dry, and added Tamiya's model weathering Kit.
Cool, I just picked up my 1A model kit today and was wondering about the exact paints I'd need.
Good build so far, looking forward to seeing it finished up. :)
Ectorhx1138 wrote:Image
For those who didn't like the Ghostbusters 2 logos, they give you the originals. As well as Ecto -1 original plates.
Neat! Gives people the opportunity to turn their car into the Ecto-1B.
Thanks guys I have more updates on this build.

Image Here is the front grill, and bumper, I did a method called a black wash on the grill so it wouldn't look chromed out. I then dry brushed the head lights in silver, very lightly so you can still see yourself in the chrome, painted the turn signals clear yellow, the strobs orange, and I cut the plate and glue it on there to give it the look of a real license plate. I did paint the body that day, came out very crappy.

Image Here it is all parts fitted. I didn't like how the paint came out so I had to strip it with BREAK FLUID.. Takes paint off, and I had to do this with my interior.

Image So here is the model's rear end, I used the same technique with the plates. Cut the plates and then glue them. If anyone has better pics of the rear end post some pictures on to my topic. Also if you can't notice, I painted the tint on the windows. it was a pain but if anyone wants an easier way, use a dry eraiser marker.

Image Here is the top of the side view of the vehicle. Still unhappy of the the Testors Gloss white.

So all in all here are some up date I used on Ecto..
1. Pick up a can of Tamiya Pure White in a rattle can. I do not have an airbrush at this moment. White paint is a pain in the butt to work with. But before you spray it on, Put at least two coats of Tamiya Fine Primer (sand after the first and after the second coat.). The Testors Gloss white takes days for it to dry. I let my paint dry for at least 48 hours so I can touch it. The Pure White works great and spray 2 coats of it. I recommend Tamiya paints of you are doing a larger job.

2. When working on the interior, don't listen to the instructions, always look at pictures of interiors of Ecto. The seat is not Gray. Don't paint it flat black first, paint it flat white first, let it dry and mask out the area the needs to be white. when all is painted go ahead and use the flat light gull gray on the floor in the back. I will be posting pics of the interior soon. Sorry I don't have it on me right now.
The white looks ok in the photos, the whole thing is looking good, hope mine turns out as good.
Model advice...always paint the parts while still on the tree.
Heartily agreed. Do this as much as possible. There's always stuff that'll have to be retouched when the parts are cut off (the "sprue scars" I call'em) but nine times out of ten, this is the way to go.
Ectorhx1138 wrote:Image
For those who didn't like the Ghostbusters 2 logos, they give you the originals. As well as Ecto -1 original plates.
Glad to see that we were right about them doing this. It will give a lot of the kitbashers more room to turn theirs into the original ECTO-1. For a guy like me, who already has an old ECTO-1A (and a Polar Lights ECTO-1), I'll basically make it the 1A with the original logos, so it's not exactly like something I already have.

I also haven't ruled out trying to custom up some orange GB logo and California plate decals to make it the ECTO-1N.:)
Kingpin wrote:Neat! Gives people the opportunity to turn their car into the Ecto-1B.
I guess that's doable too, but you'd have to custom build some of the roof rack junk. And the license plate. :lol:

I still hate the name "ECTO-1B" with a burning irrational passion.

Suffice it to say, great start.
:D
Awesome work! Couple of questions:

Can you please post a pic of the whole Decal Sheet!?? It would be much appreciated!

How did you like the Window Tint spray? I tried it before and was unable to get a good result.
Be careful to those of you who want to use brake fluid for stripping the paint- it WILL eat through the plastic if
left on for too long!

What kinda brushes did you use? Is it easier to paint the parts when they're still on the part frame?

Good job so far, keep up the good work!
ChrisJL52020 wrote:Be careful to those of you who want to use brake fluid for stripping the paint- it WILL eat through the plastic if
left on for too long!

What kinda brushes did you use? Is it easier to paint the parts when they're still on the part frame?

Good job so far, keep up the good work!
Thanks! With brushes's I bought every Tamiya brush that Hobbytown has. If you are painting smaller pieces, it's best to paint them on the tree so your not using hands and tweezers.
slaysghosts wrote:Awesome work! Couple of questions:

Can you please post a pic of the whole Decal Sheet!?? It would be much appreciated!

How did you like the Window Tint spray? I tried it before and was unable to get a good result.
All the Decals have been put on. LOL But if you go on ebay, thats how some of the decals are going to look like.
Update June 7, 2012
[img]https://fbcdn_sphotos_h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/403476_10151025717299766_1774691975_n.jpg[/img] Placed the decals on the Body.

The Red was hand painted and using Tamiya Masking tape. All I can say was, what a bitch to hand paint this, going to airbrush the next Ecto I build.

[img]https://fbcdn_sphotos_b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/285718_10151025719969766_638310965_n.jpg[/img] The Rear.

[img]https://fbcdn_sphotos_h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/601728_10151025729754766_44410345_n.jpg[/img] The top of Ecto 1a.

I know someone said the white was ok. Well, I'm not using a glossy paint for my Model. Its going to have a very glossy clear coat at the end. So whats the point of having gloss white and a gloss clear coat? If everyone is asking, "Nick, why have you not paint the chrome trim?" Because silver looks crappy as a trim color. What works? Bare Metal! It's foil and it sticks on the model with some work to it. Find it on youtube or scale model forums. I'm not okay with the strips on my model. So I might redew it. LOL. I haven't done a model in so long. But I want it to look amazing!
Really nice work and some good ideas! Clear coating everything at the end is great! I tried that before
and the clear window parts ended up looking like there was ice on the windshield. Guess I should
have clear coated the body and stuff before assembly!
I am new to model making.. I did it many years ago but I got rid of a lot of my tools.

Is there a good reasonably priced starter kit (paints aside) out there for order? Like brushes, hobby knife, airbrushers?
Any direction in this matter from our awesome hobbyist community would be much appreciated.

This seems like an amazing summer project that I'd like to eventually mod with LED lights. For now, money is a factor, and I'm looking at a cost prohibited tool solution to get back into the fold.
By Fritz
The Polar Lights ECTO-1 is the same size as the AMT ECTO-1A, so it's got to be the same scale. (I was a little shocked when I rechecked the ECTO-1 box to discover that there's no actual scale marking on it)

I think technically, yeah, the Minimates are more or less on a smaller scale than 1/25--they're mostly all the same size, though the characters depicted might be different heights. But after comparing one Minimate I had to the Polar Lights ECTO-1, I figured they're close enough.

Heck, after that realization I finally bought a set of RGB Minimates just to pose with my cars.
Fritz, got the pictures uploaded anywhere? I wanna see it, sorry but i'm really curious as i saw the amt model kinda perfect scale with the minimates. I saw it on youtube 'Ghostbusters 2 minimates Ecto1A' video by Ecto1maniac. The roof (exclude the science equipment) of the AMT Ecto1a was like as the same high of GB2 Egon minimate.

DST will not release any vehicle for the GB minimate as the current GB license doesn't include vehicle, so i was hoping this model kit will suit the minimates perfectly.. :)
By tjmayer
Nearly three weeks and no response to my post, not even a PM that might help me in the direction I need to go.

I thank you all for your help, what a wonderful community full of helpful hints.
Heeeeyyy, looks like your question got a little buried!
tjmayer wrote:I am new to model making.. I did it many years ago but I got rid of a lot of my tools.

Is there a good reasonably priced starter kit (paints aside) out there for order? Like brushes, hobby knife, airbrushers?
Any direction in this matter from our awesome hobbyist community would be much appreciated.

This seems like an amazing summer project that I'd like to eventually mod with LED lights. For now, money is a factor, and I'm looking at a cost prohibited tool solution to get back into the fold.
Don't get all sarcastic & upset! You posted a personal question in Ectorhx138's build thread & didn't even comment on his work at all!

Personally, I shop at Hobby Lobby in person & Hobby Linc online. I use Tamiya Paints (spray & bottled) arcrylics not enamels. And Click Here for every tip you'll ever need.

Apologies to you, Ectorhx1138, on my behalf.
By tjmayer
I didn't mean to get too upset, and I do appreciate the help, but the reality is, asking nicely for a helpful suggestion yielded no results, complaining, however, did.

I find that to be problematic.. something to be concerned with.

Thanks though, for some reason I didn't even consider Hobby Lobby.
By Fritz
RyomaEchizen wrote:Fritz, got the pictures uploaded anywhere?
Sadly, no. It was just an eyeball check made at my house with a Minimate and the ECTO-1 model. If I get ahold of a digital camera I can use (Yeah, my stone age cel phone from way back in Two Thousand Aught Eight has no camera :lol: ) I'll upload some.
Ectorhx1138 - Your ecto looks perfectly assembled. I've been researching on chrome paint, Alclad II Chrome paint looks best for the trim. You might want to check it up :wink:

Fritz - Thanks man, looking forward to it :-D
Hey Ectorhx1138!

Sorry I missed the start to this thread. Nice Ecto your building. :nicejobyoudid:

I have a question about using Dry Erase Markers for the Window Tint. Don't you get streaks in the application and is it see through? Ahh, make that 2 questions. :-D

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]