Hello fellow fans!,

I have been a lifelong fan of the franchise and only until now have I decided to purchase a proton pack!
I know there are a few builders which produce them; I did enquire with a few builders but unfortunately, they are booked up...especially here in the UK.

Anyway, I have found a builder in the U.S. and through preliminary discussions, I'm confident that I'll receive what I've always wanted ;)

However...

If any of you know of; or have personal experience of having a full proton pack imported into the UK from the U.S., and subsequently know roughly what the charges are from customs, then please let me know A.S.A.P.

I'm not talking about postal charges...just the charges.

Many thanks!
This isn't a perfect bit of info, but it might give you a rough ballpark figure:
Pokerking wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 12:45 am UPDATE: Got my pack from Ben ...with some shipping delays due to very bad weather. I was charged roughly 70$ CAD for duty /import fees. Probably worth noting that i didnt buy through ebay/etsy, I ordered is straight though Ben via his FB group
-Source

70 Canadian Dollars is 40 in Pound Sterling, though it could be £50 at the bare minimum... Customs and Excise loves to "excise" money from our wallets.

Out of curiousity, which builder did you go with in the end? I presume you went for an American prop maker so you could get a pre-assembled Pack, rather than one of the shell-only UK makers?
I am considering purchasing one from Machina_Props; I originally thought of Bob's Prop Shop but he/they haven't been very accommodating sadly :/

Yeah so the Machine Props guy seems to be a good builder and has answered all my questions with many details!. The price is just what I am willing to pay and the packs do seem very good ;)

I had contacted BenofKent originally, but unfortunately he's packed out with work until January 2019...

As the Machine individual resides in Phoenix, Arizona...I am concerned and interested to know if the import charges are going to be around £300 - £350, which obviously I don't want to have to pay.

Would it be cheaper if he agreed to mark the package as 'GIFT'...?
machina28 liked this
Pawstan44 wrote: May 12th, 2018, 12:26 pm I am considering purchasing one from Machina_Props; I originally thought of Bob's Prop Shop but he/they haven't been very accommodating sadly :/
Bob being unaccommodating is a blessing in disguise, he has a poor reputation here as he built a large chunk of his business on ripping off other people who've produced parts for Ghostbusters props, and doing a poor job of it at that.

I admit I'm a tad wary of Machina, as they've used the Matty wand, which is the approach Bob had taken, but I couldn't find any info here about them, so they may be on the level.
Pawstan44 wrote: May 12th, 2018, 12:26 pmWould it be cheaper if he agreed to mark the package as 'GIFT'...?
Unfortunately I suspect Customs will see through this and apply the same charge were it not marked as such. :(
Well Machina_props have a page on etsy; plus he's done a few proton pack builds...the most recent was for someone in Norway!

I have been assured that I'll receive photos at every step of the build along with any changes I'd like to make, so at the very least I'll be able to give feedback on what I see.

Also, he's assured me that prior to shipping, he'll go through everything with both images and video in order for me to be completely happy ;)

He is registered here and I believe his username is machina28 - although I'm not 100%

He's going to be using all electronics hardware from GBFANS, AND OF COURSE THE Mattel thrower/wand.
I don't mind the wand because tbh, it is an official product and is very accurate (although not completely)

He currently advertises his packs on eBay, etsy; and I believe has some videos on YouTube.

Like I said, finding a good builder with great craftsmanship is difficult and even if I have, they are fully booked up with orders!

Bob's shop was a thought, but now I've learnt how he conducts business (even from a personal perspective), then this builder I have chosen appears to be just what I was looking for.

I would've liked BenofKent in reality due to the main fact of import fees, but as he's not available, the guy I have chosen appears legitimately helpful, kind and informative...which is what I require...HONESTY!

We'll see how things proceed; and if the builder gives me permission, I'll be uploading photos here of the build in progress, along with the finished pack!

We'll see! 😉👍
machina28 liked this
I recently imported a Bandai Perfect grade millennium falcon model kit, shipped from the US. It was 85 pounds, so I'd expect a proton pack to be at least as much, more than likely double/triple that.
OCP_Model-001 wrote: May 16th, 2018, 8:51 am I recently imported a Bandai Perfect grade millennium falcon model kit, shipped from the US. It was 85 pounds, so I'd expect a proton pack to be at least as much, more than likely double/triple that.
Jeez m8! - nice pack that's going to be...although the weight might be more...but who cares right! LOL :cool:
Gonna keep an eye on that for sure!

Thanks for the info btw, although from my initial research, it appears the fees are going to be around £350!!!
OCP_Model-001 wrote: May 17th, 2018, 4:09 am Ouch, I wasn't far away eh, it's crazy money!
Holy **** matey! That GB2 Proton Pack is awesome...looks near identical to the 'Hero' packs :cool:

Anyway, but yeah, i have decided to go with the builder in the U.S.; If i get customs fees that are expensive then i'll have to live with it...nothing i can do about it anyway :(

I will say though, i'm surprised that there's no one on here that has replied with any information; surely someone in here must've had a pack imported to the UK from the U.S....? - I was hoping for at least a bit of what i might expect!

We'll see i guess
I'm from the USA but currently live in Vienna, Austria. When I import items from the States I get charged customs duties and/or VAT tax depending on the declared value. Each country is different. For Austria, any imports below 22 EUR are duties and tax free - no charge; imports between 22 and 150 EUR are only charged the VAT tax (20% for Austria); imports above 150 EUR are charged the customs duties (that range from 4% to 17% depending on product/category) and then the 20% VAT of the combined total. So, how much you'll owe UK customs depends on the declared value of the pack and the specific rates/rules in the UK.

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]